37 A Request

Check out the amazing book trailer for Expiration Date by siwar_tay

Jonas~~

Arrietty and August sit across from me on the other side of my desk, Arrietty garbed in one of her Konkursi dresses.

"August told you everything?"

Arrietty's hands are clutched in her lap. "Yes, and I agree I should go, just so my family remains safe."

"I'll make arrangements for them as well."

"And me."

My gaze snaps to August. "What?"

"I'm going with them. As back up."

The point in sending her to a hidden location is so Erik won't know where she is. There will already be Veil with them. I don't think they need my fourth in command on standby.

"I need you here as my Delta." If this is about him being upset that I made Gwen Tresais over him . . . "I've already had to send Sebastian away to keep an eye on Alix and Abella. If you leave it will raise questions."

"Damn it, Jonas, they'll all find out soon enough."

"Delta."

"I never ask for anything. I don't make a mess of every single thing like Erik and yet you would give him almost anything if it placated him. Is that what I need to do? Start making trouble, and you'll relent?" He acts as if the sacrifices I made to keep Erik here were nothing.

"Did you expect me to let him walk away?"

Arrietty holds up her hands. "Please don't fight. My family and I will be fine on our own."

August twists toward her. "What if Erik finds you?"

"I'm not his concern."

"You're one of his only friends." He faces me. "Jonas, let me go and then if he does find her, I can bring him back."

He's not going to find her though. My Delta only wants extra time to spend with the girl on whom he has a crush. If I don't let him go, he will spend the entire time she is away moping. I just know it, and I already have enough headaches to deal with. "I'll give you a week." Folding my hands together, I rest them on my desk. "Can you be ready to leave in two days?" I ask Arrietty.

"Yes, of course, Preeminence."

Someone knocks on my door. I open it to find a Veil who bends into a bow immediately.

"Preeminence, Mr. Salvatore has arrived. Should I have him escorted here?"

I glance back at August and Arrietty who rise from their seats. "Yes," I tell the Veil, and five minutes later, I'm alone, waiting by my globe when the knock comes. "Enter."

Brydan pokes his head inside. There are dark circles under his eyes and the skin around his cheeks has grown gaunt. "Hey."

A hand squeezes my heart, and I open my mouth, but nothing comes out.

Brydan bites his lip and steps into my office. "Thank you for agreeing to talk with me. I—I've missed you."

I take refuge behind my desk but remain standing. Brydan looks down, shifting his weight between his feet. I know I'm supposed to say something, but I can't.

"I want to apologize to you . . . and Iris."

I place my hands on the back of my chair, hoping it will give me the kind of support I desperately need.

Brydan's chest heaves. "Jonas, I know you're angry; I understand that. But please say something. Anything."

I push away from my chair, backing toward the door. "I'm—I can't do this."

I can't even find the willpower to linger long enough to close the door on my way out. 

I asked on my wall what your favorite moment from Expiration Date and Expired was. I turned your responses into photos with quotes. Some of these quotes are from previous versions of Expiration Date and Expired.

 Some of these quotes are from previous versions of Expiration Date and Expired

From @PopnLock124

From @PopnLock124

From @NatalieMitchell73