Chapter 31: Court Case

A quick note before we start: I don't know much about legal things, how the court works or what kinds of cases can be filed against a person. I apologise if my information or the way I've put things in the chapter is wrong. But also this is a work of fiction, so just keep that in mind when reading. I had no idea what I'm writing about.

Okay, happy reading <3

It had been three days since the Singhania's were called to the police station to identify the pieces Priya admitted to stealing and were retrieved from her room. Everything was present except for Aarav's cufflinks and two of Riya's Swarovski bracelets. Priya confessed to having sold them and using the money for new clothes.

The same day Rohan had given Priya divorce papers. There had been a change in him ever since the day police took Priya into their custody. The woman he spent years loving was only after his money. He had begun to doubt if she even ever loved him.

There had been a change in Reema, she was quieter. Not speaking to anyone, only joining the family when necessary. Raj had convinced Neel to not send her to her brother's house, so Reema stayed home. But now her room was separate. Neel doesn't even look her way. For him, she's not the woman he was in love with and married.

Today was Priya's court case's first and final date. She had admitted to all her crimes, therefore they would gather to hear the verdict. Neel had worked alongside the lawyer to ensure their case was strong and she would get long enough in jail. Rohan had also insisted on suing her for fraud and emotional damages as her confession states her reason for marrying Rohan was primarily due to his wealth.

Everyone was there at court, waiting for Shourya and Meera. The media had gathered outside, trying to get a scope of the Singhania's drama. Their car parks in front of the entrance and a bodyguard comes out of the front seat, opening the door at the back.

Shourya comes out before turning to help Meera out. He wraps his arms around her and quickly walks in, not wanting her to be overwhelmed by the mics in their faces and the questions being shouted at them. She was already nervous about today.

Once he gets inside, he helps Meera onto a seat next to Riya, kissing her head and sitting next to her. He nods at the rest of his family before waiting for the judge to make an appearance. With special request, they were going to sort out the divorce here as well.

Priya's parents were too embarrassed to come here, they had met Priya earlier to let her know they don't want her back. She was on her own now.

The judge makes an appearance and they begin.

"Shall we begin with the stealing accusations, before moving onto the fraud and emotional damages put forward by Mr Rohan Singhania? Then we'll sort out the divorce of Mr Rohan Singhania and Mrs Priya Singhania."

Throughout the proceedings, Reema is in tears, and Rohan is frowning, almost crying. Neel tries to portray himself as unaffected but his shaking leg gives away his emotions.

"As Miss Priya accepts all accusations put forward. This includes fraud and emotional damages. And as the marriage has not been completed one year, Mr. Rohan Singhania is entitled to divorce without having to provide compensation to Miss Priya and vice versa. He also has the option of asking for payment for the emotional damages caused to him and his family. Mr. Singhania, would you like any sort of payment from Miss Priya?"