Chapter Twenty

Zander

I don't have time for this. I have a packed schedule of jobs to do out on the farm, and then all the things I need to deal with regarding the pub. Rosters to work out, payroll, invoices ... the list keeps growing, and yet, my mind is consumed with one thing.

Breanna Lancaster.

I hate feelings, relationships, and everything in between.

This is why I didn't want to pursue anything with her. I don't want to be distracted. The more time we spend together, the deeper I fall. Pushing her away only makes it worse.

I'm screwed either way.

I thought I could get her out of my system, but then she had to say she can't do no-strings. I never signed up for a relationship. I've never wanted that. But being with her, has me questioning the way I do things. The way I have always done things.

Staring down at my phone, I wait for some sort of response from her. She didn't show up to her shift, and Cassie showed me the message she received from her. Cassie had been shooting glares in my direction throughout her shift all night, knowing that it was my fault that Brea quit.

Running a rough hand down my face, I pick up my phone and search for her contact again. My fingers drum against the desk as the phone rings, eventually clicking over to her automated voicemail.

"Brea," I say, my voice a little raspy, and I clear my throat. "Call me."

"Wow," Cassie says, clapping. Jerking my chin up, I scowl at her, not having realised she was hovering near the door. She has a shit-eating grin etched across her face. "You're a man of many words, Boss."

"What?" I grumble, tossing my phone down onto the desk, and leaning back into my chair.

"You could apologise? Ask her how she is doing?" she raises an eyebrow. "Brea. Call me." She says in a gruff, angry voice that sounds nothing like me, as she holds her fingers to her ear in the shape of a phone. "You could ... you know ... actually try."

"Do you need something, Cassie?" I sigh, feeling exasperated at this situation, at Cassie for no valid reason, and most of all, myself.

Rolling her eyes, she shakes her head. "No. Just letting you know I'm heading out." Nodding, I get to my feet, but she waves me off. "You don't have to walk me out, Boss. Nothing bad happens around here."

"It's late," I say. "And I don't mind."

Smiling, she fixes her bag strap that had slipped off her shoulder. Following her out, I open the door and walk her to her car.

"I hope you're okay, Zander." Cassie says, touching my arm briefly. A light breeze washes over us, relieving us momentarily from the still heat. "I know you really like her."

"How do you know that?"

She shrugs. "The way you stare at her is the way all girls want to be stared at."

"What way?" I furrow my brows.

I do? I struggle to take my eyes off her whenever she is around, but I hadn't realised that was obvious to everyone else.

Smiling, she lifts her shoulder. "Don't worry about it. Enjoy the rest of your night."

I wait until she is on the road before I head back inside. Collapsing back down onto my office chair, I hang my head between my hands. I hate this feeling. The need to know how she is, what she is doing. The ache to feel her in my arms.

Ignoring the pile of paperwork that needs my attention, I flick off the lights, and lock the door behind me. It only takes a couple of minutes to reach the hotel. Jogging up the steps, I knock on the door. Straining to hear anything on the other side, I wait a few beats, before knocking again.