uberrima fides

Latin: "most abundant faith"

In which we interrupt your usual Pricegrove programming because Frank does not like it when his new sister is under fire from a bitter defense attorney.

Also known as "Vicious Cycle." This took way longer to complete than I thought, but it turns out when your workplace floods and you have to switch to virtual sessions, your energy can get sapped really quickly. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this episode and how I wanted to write it . . . it just had to get typed out. Still, I'm very pleased with the results. This was a very Sam-heavy episode, and I loved the episode so I wanted to keep it that way. Not too Pricegrove heavy, but hopefully no one is too opposed to our favorite guys wanting to protect our favorite girl.

***

"I don't know how much more I can say I like you," Frank quipped as he walked back from the bar to one of the tables in the back. "Top shelf tequila on the rocks and one big chunk of my paycheck gone."

Sam giggled as he placed her drink in front of her. "I thank you for your sacrifice, Frank, but I did offer to pay for the round. It was your break in the case that got us this conviction."

"I'm a gentleman," Frank shrugged, sliding into the booth across from her. "First round on me. Then maybe you can buy the top shelf whiskey I was eyeing when we got here."

"Deal," Sam agreed, picking up her glass and taking a sip. "The best detectives and prosecutors in Manhattan deserve the best drinks."

"You are doing wonders for my ego right now, Sam," Frank rolled his eyes fondly, taking a drink from his own glass.

Sam raised an eyebrow. "That's Nolan's job, not mine."

Frank's heart stuttered, and he choked on his next drink. "Excuse me?" he managed to croak, covering his mouth as he coughed.

"You know I've had a front row seat to basically every interaction you and Nolan have had since you joined the 2-7," Sam reminded him with a grin. "Kevin got a trainwreck every time, and Jalen worked . . . what, one or two major cases with you before the mass shooting? I've seen it all. Including that little moment the two of you had after you were on the stand with the Nichols case. You two went from going at each other's throats to baring them if it means defending the other. It's like some corny TV show or Hallmark movie."

Frank aimed his dirtiest glare at the woman. "I take back every compliment I've ever said about you."

Sam didn't even react to the glare. In fact, she laughed loudly as she took another drink. "Yeah, I bet you do."

She raised an eyebrow at him in challenge, and there was no way Frank could argue with that look. "That obvious, huh?" he sighed, eyeing his drink in distaste. He wasn't certain he wanted a repeat of that coughing fit.

All the teasing died in Sam's expression, and the woman leaned across the table. "Only to someone who knows both of you," she told him. "I know I haven't worked with Nolan as long as, say, Benson and Tutuola, but the only other person we have ever worked with is our boss. I know Nolan, and I like to think I know you decently well, too, Frank." She bit her lip, struggling not to smile. "And Nolan protested a bit too much when he said your bar crawl wasn't a date."