The Enemy in Mary Janes

♫ Scatterbrain - Emei

Since the mention of the sweethearts' dance on Monday, it feels as though every girl in Wilcrest has been holding their breath as Jack Moody crosses their path. All secretly hoping they will be the lucky one chosen to accompany him.

Sad to report, I've been holding the same wish. You know, I really thought maybe there was some hope for me.

However, as the week winds to a close, sweethearts' dance rapidly approaching, hope dwindles as Jack Moody remains unclaimed.

But hey, if I can't have him, at least no one else does either.

Until—rounding the corner of the narrow corridor, my worst nightmare comes into view.

Waiting at the end of the hall, white poster board in hand, stands Emma McKinney. A wide perfectly white smile plastered onto her face, a blue baseball cap pressed upon her head as Jack Moody approaches her.

My eyes bore into the arts and craft project in her grasp. The words: Shoot your Shot and Be my Date to the Sweethearts' Dance, glued onto the large board.

Blood running hot, I take ragged breaths in and out as my feet stomp forwards to eavesdrop.

"So, what do you say?" Emma sings swaying her blonde ponytail behind the baseball cap. "Oh—and I got you this."

Revealing from behind her back, she pulls out a matching blue hat before standing on the toes of her Mary Janes to perch it onto Jack Moody's fluffy hair.

Heated, I shake my head slowly. Emma McKinney better get her hands off of him before I march over there and remove them for her.

"It's Golden State," Emma explains with a grin. "Because you love Steph Curry."

See, she doesn't even know Jack. He hates basketball. I'd laugh in her face if I wasn't so furious.

Jack's back facing me, I can't read the expression on his face, but I imagine its something of a disgusted grimace.

The boy's long arms reach up to readjust the hat on his head as Emma shakes her sad little art project, the heavy poster board sounding a ripple into the air. "Well...?"

Her desperation is pathetic; there's no way—

"Uh—okay," the boy mumbles and Emma squeals, wrapping her arms around his neck as she stretches back onto her tippy toes.

What?!

Eyes growing wide, heart pattering against my ribs, the air sucks straight out of my lungs.

I'm going to kill her.

Immediately, my legs start stomping towards the blonde betrayer determined to rip her head right off her shoulders—but then, a force brings me to a halt.

Small hands cling onto my biceps, sharp nails digging into my skin as I try to drag the captor down the hall with me.

"Molly!" Naila screeches, digging her slippery loafers into the waxed floor to halt me.

Coming to her aide, Jade wraps one of her long arms around me. Unable to fight off the strong hold, the two of them divert my destination, tugging me to the left in order to push me inside the restroom.

With the enemy finally out of view, inside the tiled bathroom, I snap back into reality.

Anger still consumes me, so I ball my fists as I seethe, "That bitch. She's ruining my life!"

Jade groans and then grabs me harshly by my shoulders, sticking her nose close to mine. "Molly. We need to have an intervention," she states. "You're off the deep end."