Chapter 3 |Messy Feelings

Kaynath took the local bus to the location her tinder date had sent

Kaynath took the local bus to the location her tinder date had sent. It wasn't an obscure place and she was fairly sure she had been here, at least once. Still, 45 mins away, should be safe. She adjusted her sage green hijab and checked her face in her compact mirror and reapplied the lipstick though it was going to be wrecked anyways.

"Kochi! Fort Kochi!" the bus conductor yelled. He wore a khaki brown shirt and looked no more than his mid twenties. Long, black hair kept getting in his eyes and he pushed it away. He thumbed through colourful tickets no bigger than his index finger, all bound together like a mini booklet, and handed her a 20 Rupees ticket. Looking around, he yelled once more, and Kaynath stood up. The conductor pulled the string attached to the bell, signalling the driver to stop.

The bus stopped after a sharp lurch forwards during which Kaynath held on to the pole, steadying herself.

She got down and unlocked her phone, adjusting her purse and looking around.

I'm here. A little left to an ice cream stall in front of the beach, she texted and waited for a reply.

The beach was a little ahead of her and to the right stood rows of colourful stalls with little antique items, jewellery, miniature wooden animals, mostly elephants, hand woven bags and antique boxes. She eyed the box with a sigh, thinking of the collection of all the special chocolate boxes, tin cans and gift boxes she collected. She could add the wooden ones to them.

"Hey."

She reluctantly turned her attention to the boy on her right, and blinked once. "Oh! Hi. Kaynath," she said, extending her hand. He was cute, that much, she could admit, with bright brown eyes and smooth, dark skin. A silver stud in his left ear glinted in the light as he turned his head.

"Firoz," he took it, his brown eyes scanning her not-so-subtly as he led the way. Dressed in ripped faded blue jeans, she did admire he had a nice butt to look at and caught up to him.

"Is it close by?" she inquired, looking up at him.

"Yep," a ghost of a smile traced his lips. He took her hand and Kaynath bit her tongue, trying to hold back her words.

"Uh, why are we holding hands?" She tried to sound casual, but it came out rude.

"Oh, sorry!" he apologized, dropping it quickly and scratching the back of his neck. "I'm not, I don't know..."

"Oh, we are here to fuck, alright, nothing more," she replied impassively, waving her hand.

His smile grew wider as he led them to a hotel and they checked in. The receptionist noted their information, and stood up, grabbing a set of keys from the shelf. "How many days will you be staying?"

"Just the night," he replied, before she could.

Kaynath said nothing and took the keys, leading the way.