Chapter 4| Sad Haircuts

Waking up before the crack of dawn while I had sore legs was terrible

Waking up before the crack of dawn while I had sore legs was terrible. Not that I didn't manage to somehow wake without an alarm almost everyday but it was worse today. I considered taking the day off but decided not to; I had several appointments. It was almost time for Fajr prayer. I spread my prayer rug out, asking Allah for blessings for the day after I finished. 

I decided to work on the final touches for the mauve coloured gown for now. I gathered the cloth to multiple pleats and fastened them with straight pins and stepped away to admire my handiwork. Other pins hovered around me, waiting for me to choose and stick them in.

"Perhaps a bit more of those pleats? I'd like to swoosh in my dress?"

I nearly squeaked as the pins clattered to the ground and turned to find my favourite customer smiling and rushed to give her a hug but stopped with arms outstretched at the last moment, asking for permission.

Kaynath nodded and received her hug and I squeezed her, warmth filling me up at the contact.

"The dress isn't even for you," I commented, laughter bubbling up.

"Well, I have opinions," Kaynath huffed, settling onto a cushion as I went back to her work. "I'm not sure what I'll get today."

"Not the usual haircut and threading then?" I went back to my mannequin, and folded the cloth to make a square shaped neckline with ruffles. Adjusting the length of the fabric so it spanned a full length swooshy gown, I raised my index finger to tell her to give me a minute.

"Maybe. What do you suggest?" she propped her arm on her elbow, leaning forward.

"Anything that makes you sexier, why not?" I suggested as Kaynath removed her hijab, shrugging her wavy brown hair.

"Well, I am going to wear a scarf most of the time, so I don't see your point," she waved her hand, scoffing.

"It's so that you feel sexy, not really to show anyone," Mirza crossed the threshold and picked a bunch of extra cloth and pushed them away.

"Who says I'm not already?" Kaynath huffed, crossing her arms.

"I'm sure you are," I crossed the space, knelt and tilted her chin up, as her eyes bore into mine. She had gorgeous eyes that sparkled hazel, and I would never tire of it.

Kaynath stilled for a second but laughed and then pushed me away. "Goddamn, you never stop flirting do you?"

"What can I say? Hot people make me do things," she replied with a sly smile.

I saw her cheeks get slightly dark and felt something soft bubble inside me. Kaynath was an unexpected friend that I made over the course of my job. Not that I didn't make many friends, but she seemed so aloof when we first met.

I remember the day so well because I told Anya later and we spent ages laughing about it. She had strolled in for a usual trim, where she wanted to get rid of her split ends and god, was she rude. It seemed in her general disposition to not talk or interact with anyone.