Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Have you ever met a handsome priest? It is confusing. This one had allegedly stopped by to welcome me to the neighbourhood and invite me to church on Sunday. 

"Rev. Sampson?" He seemed taken aback that I knew who he was, but he took it in stride. I got the impression he didn't mind my knowing his name.

"Yes, I'm the minister here. And who are you?" The way he smiled made the question seem like a private joke between us. It was oddly intimate.

"My name is Edith." He paused. I don't know if he was expecting me to elaborate or if I had caught him off-guar somehow, but either way, I wasn't sure what to make of this man. All I knew for sure was that the blonde woman at the help desk at the airport said he was trying to rent my house. So those were my next words. 

"I hear you're trying to rent my house."

He burst out a booming laugh that transformed his face. That man lit up from within in a way that reminded me somehow of the sun breaking through clouds after a storm at sea. I'll never forget that laugh. He was handsome before, but laughing, he was almost blinding so.

"News travels fast around here." He put his hands in his pockets in a nonchalant gesture, "I was just at the church for our Thursday night Bible Study and saw some life over here. This house has been empty too long."

"Has it?"

"As long as I've lived here, to be sure, and I've been here for twelve years now." 

"That's a long time. You barely look old enough to be a Priest - this must be your first church" 

I wasn't sure if I was flirting or rambling. Can you flirt with a Priest? I didn't even get the chance to find out because it was at that exact moment that Brett showed up. He pulled up in that oversized truck and rolled his window down.

"Good evening Rev. Hey Edie! I was just stopping by to see if you'd like to join me for dinner." Brett's face warmed when he said my name. Now, I don't know about you, but where I come from, people don't just stop by to ask other people to dinner. 

"Why Brett," I asked in my best imitation of a Southern Belle, "are you asking me on a date?" 

"I mean... I could be if you want, but I was just thinking that you probably don't have much food yet, having just arrived yesterday, and maybe you could use a friend?"

"I sure could." I was definitely flirting now. 

I've always been able to do that - sparkle a little. I didn't do it often, but my Mom - the one I grew up with - used to call it my superpower. I was always getting out of trouble as a kid. I used to think that's just what happened when you were the only girl in a house full of boys. You get this weird sort of star power. It didn't just work at home, though. In third grade, I once dared Dan and Billy - two boys in my class - to race on the top of the monkey bars. I'd promised the winner a kiss, and poor Billy ended up with a broken arm. The whole thing had been my idea, and everyone knew it, but somehow I was the only one who escaped without any punishment at all.

 "It was lovely meeting you, Rev. I'm sure I'll see you again soon, seeing as we're practically neighbours," I called over my shoulder as I ran up to Brett's truck. I ended up leaving my freshly cut bouquet in the mailbox at the end of the road, and waving as we pulled out of the drive.

Dinner was delicious. Have you ever had walnut crusted salmon? This one had a dijon mustard sauce that was truly inspired. It was on a bed of watercress and served with a mushroom risotto on the side. The portions were enormous. I still dream of that salmon.

Brett took me to Fort St John,  to a place called North. I know, I know, the name is pretty on the nose. Brett ordered a steak, but I had a massive craving for salmon. Fish of any kind, really. 

My diet is mainly aquatic-based. It always was a preference, but as I got older, I leaned into it. In my first year of college, I learned that if I call myself a Pescatarian and quoted some celebrity or other about the benefits of Omega-3s. It stopped weirding people out. 

"So, are you planning on staying?" Brett's eyes were lovely that night. They were this soft hazel with flecks of green. The shirt he was wearing really accentuated the green, and in the candlelight, he looked so solid, capable and strong, like he could build me a house with his bare hands and start a fire on a rainy night. 

"Honestly, Brett, I have no idea. Aren't we supposed to start slower than that? Something like, what's your favourite colour?"

"Alright," Brett was so good-natured, even his chuckles felt warm. "What is your favourite colour?"

"Blue. What is your favourite colour?"

"Blue."

"Well, that's something we have in common, then. Any insights as to why?"

"I like the sky. I've never been much for being fenced in. I tried to live in a city once. I went east to Toronto for University, but I needed something else. Dad was pretty steamed when I came back without a degree, but I'd learned a lot and figured out who I am and what I wanted."

"And what do you want, Brett?"

"I want it all. I want to go fishing in the summer and hunting in the fall. I want to work hard and grow my contracting business and raise a bunch of kids down the road from my parent's farm. I want quiet evenings with a smoking-hot wife and the occasional trip to Mexico. What do you want, Edie?"

I liked hearing Brett talk. He had a way of speaking that put people at ease. But I didn't want the picture he was painting. "I don't know yet. My life is a bit off the rails at the moment. My Dad died like... a week ago. That's when I found out I inherited that house so I'm just figuring it out."Brett took my hand across the table and smiled sadly, 

"I am so sorry for your loss. That's a real gut punch. But, Edie, you've got all the time in the world. This is a great place to figure it out. Things move slowly here, and I'd... well, I'd love to hear all about it if you'll let me."

Brett was a genuinely lovely man. Maybe he will forgive me one day. Not yet, but one day.