Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I made my presence known in Taylor for the next few days but I did so sparingly. No one would question it when they didn't see me for a few days. I was trying to buy myself time. It wasn't enough. 

I wish I could have spent more time looking at my Mother's things. Reading her books, sitting in her chair by the window and listening to birds. It looked like a very nice life that she set up there. I believe that she was happy there.

When it came time to leave, I packed up my suitcase but left some of my own items in the house. To be honest, I augmented my wardrobe with a few vintage pieces from my Mother's closet. Sweaters, a Barbour, a beret, some wool gloves. She had this oversized fur coat that I thought would sell Meg's whole vibe, so I took it. I didn't know if she would ever be back in the house, and I felt like wearing some of her things would make me feel closer to her. It didn't.

The Reverend met me at 3am the day I left Taylor. It turns out that at some point in Reverend Sampson's long and storied life, he worked as a hairdresser. He cut and dyed my hair, and somehow it turned out an otherworldly shade of white blonde. I have to admit I loved it. It highlighted my eyes, making them stand out against all the white. Then, he drove me to Dawson's Creek and dropped me off at the Sunset Ranch bed and breakfast.

"Thank you. For everything."

"Be safe, Child. It was an honour to meet you." He handed me the room key with a sad smile. "You do look like her, you know? Very much like her. Don't be reckless; you will come out of this alright."

"Goodbye."

I never saw him again. All I could find when I looked into him was a missing persons report. I wonder if I'll ever know what happened to him.

Have you ever tried to be someone else? I don't mean in a play. In real life. Have you ever looked around, known that nobody knew you and decided to try on someone else's skin? It's fun. Electric. Maybe at the airport or a coffee shop, or a bookstore in a new city?

This was different. Being Meg was nerve-wracking. Trying to remember not to respond to my real name was impossible. Thank God it isn't that common a name. But Meg? There are Megs everywhere. 'Meg' checked out of her room at the Sunset Ranch and paid for the full week I was pretending to be there. I guess the Reverend had posed as a boyfriend who'd checked in for us, and then Meg, an eccentric artist type, did all the work from the hotel room.

"It is such a treat to meet you face to face, Meg! You did phenomenal work for us. You really put Sunset Ranch on the map. Bookings are already up."

"You're welcome. I'm just happy that our visions were so in line."

I got out of there as quickly as I could. You know your life is completely off the rails when finding out that a small-town priest photoshopped blonde hair onto your student id photo and created an entire online consulting business doesn't phase you.

No one questioned my passport at the airport. I flew straight to Vancouver and from Vancouver to Toronto and then from Toronto straight to Glasgow.