Vol I. Cupid's Chokehold.

( season one. )

EXT

EXT. Mister Grantley's garden.

Judy Routledge grunts under her breath, hoisting and twisting her weight up between the woody arms of a tree, while leafy greenery tickles the crown of her head like hands petting a dog. Squeezing her thighs firmly around the bark, she squints up through the sunshine at several ripened oranges hanging above her head via brittle stems.

"Come to mama." Unlatching her backpack from her shoulders, Jude strains her arms up to pluck the fruit from the tree one by one, stuffing each of them into weathered brown cotton.

"Hey!"

FREEZE FRAME: an image of JUDY looking BEWILDERED like a deer caught in headlights.

JOHN B (V.O)

That's Judy, or Jude for short. She's the baby of the group, but mostly known for being my introverted little sister. She mainly keeps to herself, but we try to include her in things to get her out of the house; such as boat rides on the HMS Pogue, or beer picnics by the seafront.

INT. The Chateau - Judy's bedroom - a Friday night.

The camera pans through the empty house, down the hall and into Jude's room. She's standing on her dishevelled bed wearing sweatpants and an oversized t-shirt, belting out the lyrics to Accidentally In Love with her irises glued to the tiny television screen in the corner, which is balanced on top of a huge pile of old VHS tapes. Something she loves to collect.

JOHN B (V.O)

When she's not stealing fruit from our neighbour's garden down the road, she's rewatching her favourite movies while the rest of us are out partying down the beach or some shit. Shrek is her favourite. Dad bought her a cookie jar shaped like a green head for her birthday two years ago. She actually cried that day, and we spent the evening baking chocolate orange cookies together to christen it properly. (The oranges were from Mr Grantley's garden... obviously, thanks old buddy).

EXT. The Chateau - Early hours of the Morning.

JOHN B (V.O)

She's been struggling though... since Dad disappeared.

The scene cuts to Jude's dimly lit bedroom, shaded by thin navy curtains. A deafening, throat shattering scream bounces off the walls of the Chateau, violently awakening its other inhabitants.