ix. Paper Heart.

chapter nine

season one.

"POPE, WE'RE NOT STEALING THE DRONE

"POPE, WE'RE NOT STEALING THE DRONE. WE'RE BORROWING IT." John B claims from the front seat of the twinkie while Kiara occupies the passenger seat, and the rest of the group are sprawled out in the back.

"Humans are the only animal that can't tell fantasy from reality." Pope peers out of the window with his arms stiffly folded. Clearly he's still very unhappy with this plan they've concocted.

"Did you come up with that?"

"No, Albert Bernstein came up with that, but it applies to this whole treasure-hunting thing."

"Oh."

"So, which is it?" He turns to glance over at the front of the vehicle. "Fantasy, or reality?"

"Why are you so weird, Pope?" JJ hums, but doesn't look up from the blunt he's been carefully wrapping up for the past ten minutes, as though he was performing brain surgery.

"It's fantasy, but possible reality." Kie responds, hands folded in her lap. She still looks unsure on the answer to that question herself.

John B looks at her. "Reality."

She smiles gently.

"Virtual reality." JJ flicks his silver lighter and brings the flame to the paper between his lips, but before he can torch it, a hand snatches it out of his mouth.

"Keep the signal clear." Pope flicks it across the twinkie, and it hits Judy's ankle. She refrains from chuckling at the blond boy's exasperated expression.

"You know what your problem is?"

"You?"

"It's that you need to relax, man. You're always so tense!"

"I'm not too tense."

Despite them bickering back and forth to one another, Kiara hops out of the twinkie and strolls around to the open window on the driver's side.

John B pops his head out with a look of encouragement. "Hey, don't worry. You got this."

She brushes him off, pupils flickering towards the backseat as she backs away. "It's not me that I'm worried about."

"Remind me again why I'm back here, and not out there playing the damsel in distress with Kie?" Judy huffs, mimicking the way Pope had folded his arms a few moments ago.