xii. Movie Mayhem.

chapter twelve

season one.

COMING OUT TO SEE A MOVIE wasn't exactly at the top of Judy's list of priorities, but here they are, dodging people on deck chairs and blankets, all because Kiara persisted that they do something nice together like normal people

A large screen is posted up at the top of the field with a projection reading 'OBX Summer Movie Series' across the front. The sun has started setting, adding a yellowish undertone to the scenery. Judy tags along at the end of the line by JJ, her feet still aching from the marathon she did this afternoon.

God, she's praying her brother is okay. It feels wrong to do this without him. Even if it is just a stupid movie.

"I'm so glad that they're still doing this." Kie smiles fondly, stalking a little ahead of the others. "Keep calm. Carry on. Back to the OBX life, y'know? Aren't you guys glad that I made you come?"

"Ecstatic." Pope quips, sarcastically.

JJ clears his throat. "My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest." He straightens his red and grey cap, setting the cooler down on the grass.

Judy rolls her neck back until it cracks, huffing and tightening her ponytail. While the boys are muttering amongst themselves, she feels Kiara interlock their arms and pull her over towards the snack stand.

"Get anything you want. My treat."

Jude flashes her a bleak smile. "You don't have to do that."

"I want to." She squeezes their arms together.

The offer is nice n'all, but truthfully, Judy doesn't think she can stomach much right now. She's worried sick about John B, exhausted, and paranoid that the cops are going to show up at any moment to drag her ass away like they were supposed to.

"Hey, uh... can I get two Pepsis please, and whatever she's having." Kie fishes some money out from her back pocket.

The man behind the stall glowers down expectantly at the much shorter girl.

"Um... just a root beer, thanks." says Judy.

"You sure I can't get you anything else?" Kiara turns to her, questionably.

"I'm sure."

Shrugging, she hands over the correct amount of money and they collect the chilled cans to take back to their seats. However, before they can even move away, a very tall, dominant figure appears in front of them.