Two

I remain stunned to listen to the words of David Frost for the entire two hours of the meeting. I have to admit that he is tremendously handsome. But I'm imagining him with an angry look while he blatantly announces my dismissal after washing him down with coffee. I also think back to his face as I was handing him the note. That's why that surprised expression. He must have thought 

"Damn, but how did the Brooklyn office hire such a wimp?" I just have to wait for the moment when my career will be taken and disposed of in the wet. 

Great job Mills, as always.

"That said, I'll leave you to your work. Good luck to all" ended the speech Mr. Handsome and Muscular.

Here we are. In a few minutes he will call me in his office and tell me to pack my things and leave immediately. What a shitty life.

I leave the assembly hall and go to my office on the first floor. It consists essentially of a room with transparent walls, with a modern desk, a well-equipped computer and a pile of manuscripts to correct, revise and straighten. I love reading them, it puts me in a good mood to be able to work the context I have to get paid to read things and correct them. Reading has always been one of my favourite pastimes, and making it a professional activity was a brilliant idea. Too bad I'm about to get fired now.

I sit down at the desk of wonders, and I totally immerse myself in the work.

After a few hours, I still haven't been fired, and I breathe a sigh of relief. Maybe he forgot about me. Maybe he didn't recognize me. Maybe I've had a little luck this time.

At one point I hear the office door open, but I don't look away. I'm in a focal point of correction.

"One second, I'll finish this sentence" I say, continuing to type on the computer.

As soon as I finish, I turn around calmly: for the third time, I collide with the blue eyes of Mr. Handsome and Muscular. I almost have a heart attack and I jump from my chair in fright. Too bad that, in doing so, I hit my shin against a leg of the desk.

"Auuch" I moan, leaning slightly.

He looks me up and down with a raised eyebrow. I dare say I even caught a hint of amusement on his face.

I quickly compose myself, trying to hold back the excruciating pain in my leg. I'm gonna get a bruise the size of a house.

"Excuse me, tell me," I say, swallowing to try not to look pained.

"I wanted to ask if you were the one who washed me with coffee this morning, but I think I answered myself" he says, pulling out my business card, and letting a frozen smile escape.

He's kidding me, great.

Him taken for a ride by one of the most influential men in the world. What a beautiful fucking day.

"Carter Mills, right?" he then asks reading the name on the note.

"Yeah .." I admit, cringing, "Look, I'm so sorry, and if you want to fire me .." I continue but he interrupts me.

"I need the Frey file. In my office, twenty minutes," he warns me.

I frown. He didn't even want to hear me speak. What a nice piece of shit. Be thankful that he didn't fire you out of hand, seeing how you tanned his jacket.

"Yes sure" I say, a little hesitant.

I see him nod his head and storm out of my office.

Maybe from now on I should call him Mr. Handsome but asshole, given the ways he has.

I start looking for the blessed file: luckily I'm quite tidy as far as work is concerned, so I can find it in a short time. I walk to the superboss's office, and knock lightly.

"Come in" I hear inside.

I walk in slowly, trying not to trip or fall. Luckily I succeed and I avoid making idiotic figures at least for a few nanoseconds.

"I have the file you asked for"

"Put it here" David interrupts me, continuing to scribble something on his pc and pointing to his  desk. Always polite, of course.

I approach, place the file on the work table, then turn around and lift my heels. I want to be in this office as little as possible. Before I can open the door though, I hear him calling to me.

"Ah, Miss Mills"

"Yes?" I say, turning to him.

"This is from him," he tells me, taking a cell phone out of his pocket and handing it to me absentmindedly. My mobile. Damn. I look at it dumbfounded, and grab it uncertainly.

"You dropped it when you took out your business card," he explains, giving me a stern look.

"Thanks," I say, pulling my lips in.

"Be more careful. I don't want distracted employees in my company," he says.

"Oh of course" I nod.

I make it again to go, but after a few seconds, I still hear David's voice in my ears.

"Ah, Miss Mills"

I turn around again, is he kidding me?

"I'd like you to correct this manuscript. It arrived today, and it's fresh," he says, handing me a file the size of a stack of papers.

"I need it ready in two days"

I roll my eyes, it will be at least seven hundred pages of manuscript.

"Are you kidding?" I ask, still traumatized by the request.

"If you are not able, I will have to find someone else, more qualified than you for your job", he tells me, with a sarcastic and tight smile.

He wants to fire me, but not in a classic way, he wants to make me suffer.

Ugly..

I swallow, trying not to send him to hell.

"I can do it," I say, already feeling the weight of that sentence on my stomach.

"I hope so. Amaze me, Miss Mills. You can go now," he dismisses me.

I hate him, I hate him, I hate him. 

Did he give me an impossible job to do just so he could kick me out? Alright then. I was going to correct the damned manuscript and prove him what Carter Mills is really worth.

I already lost the boy this week, he sure as hell won't lose his job in one fell swoop.