@julietlyons - Dead Charming

Chapter Four: Dead Charming

I freeze. What a waste of Dad's money those self defence classes turn out to be.

"Silver it's just me," a voice says, the hand leaving my shoulder.

I turn and find myself nose to nose with my vampire from New Year's Eve. His bright green eyes boring into mine.

Without thinking, I slap him across the face. I point, with a white, clenched hand to the garden I've just ran across. "I thought I was about to be murdered you asshole. I ripped my coat. My heels are probably ruined. All because you thought it might be a fun idea to follow me home."

He smiles his sexy crooked smile, shoving his hands deep into the pockets of his smart, navy pea coat. "I wasn't the one following you," he says, in his slow seductive tones.

Suddenly the front door flies open and my landlady Vera emerges in a long, silky, oriental style dressing gown. She is wigless for once, there is a Pucci scarf twisted onto her scalp like a makeshift turban. In her right hand she is holding a meat cleaver. "Step away, you rapist bastard!" She yells at the vampire, holding the meat cleaver shakily aloft.

I look to him, expecting him to throw his hands in the air or take a step backwards. Instead his brows knit together and his mouth drops open a little in surprise. "Etta Marlow?" he asks, staring at her.

The meat cleaver lowers a fraction. "What's it to you?" Vera says, her voice losing some of its previous hysteria.

I roll my eyes. Of course he remembers her. He's probably seen all her films.

"It is you! You're Etta Marlow! You played Susie De Sousa in 'Girl Uptown' with Gregor Lane! It's my favourite movie of all time!"

The meat cleaver drops to her side. Vera pats her turban, her eyelashes fluttering. "Fancy you recognising me," she mutters happily.

"Excuse me Vera, but there's still a potential rapist on your doorstep here," I remark sarkily.

Vera looks back at the vampire. He shakes his head and smiles. "A misunderstanding Etta. I was making sure Silver here made it home safely. She got the wrong end of the stick."

Vera, or Etta as she was once known, smiles at me. "Do you know this charming fellow dear?"

I scowl at her. "Well yes but - "

"Well then you must come in dear boy. I can show you my Oscar if you like?"

The Vampire looks as if he's about to pee himself with excitement. "You mean the one you got for 'Days Like These' with Vic Stevens?"

She holds out her hand to him. "The very one dear. Come, come in."

I watch, stunned, as the vampire takes her hand.

Before stepping through the door he hangs back a little. "Ms Marlow, I'm afraid it's only courteous to let you know before I enter your house that I'm not human. I'm a vampire."

Vera laughs. "Oh you're so sweet. Didn't you know I've met dozens of vampires? They're two a penny in Hollywood darling."

He looks over at me and grins, making me want to slap him again. "Coming Silver?" he asks innocently as he crosses the threshold after her.

I pause. I'm tempted to sulk off to my basement flat but instead I follow them in and shut the door.

Vera leads us into her immaculate, monochrome front room. "You two make yourselves at home whilst I go and make myself presentable. Then I'll dig out that old Oscar of mine."