Chapter 16

Freya agreed to wait.

One day, that was all Elijah asked of her. One day for an 'important event' and then, she'd be welcomed into the Compound for brunch. She didn't mind, and she seemed to know exactly what the event was without needing to press on further.

"Are you sure you don't want to spend the night at my apartment?" offered Andra. "I really wouldn't mind."

"I've found temporary accommodations," Freya assured her. "Please, do not worry about me. You are very kind. It is good to know that my father had someone he could find comfort in. Even if he could not bring himself to say that he did."

"How did you know? How could–?"

"I kept track of my family for a very long time. Never able to approach but always finding ways to learn what they were up to. I knew how much you meant to him. And I knew when I saw you together that something about your relationship was fractured. When you told me what you were... I realized what was wrong."

"I didn't think it was possible for a witch to restore the memories taken by Malivore."

"I do not think it would be, most of the time. However, you and my father shared an emotional bond made physical by the gift he gave you. I used it and it worked. I do not believe I could repeat the same trick with someone you were less close to or someone you did not receive a gift from."

"That's the only one I needed," whispered Andra. "Thank you, Freya. I don't know how I could repay you for it."

"You brought my father to me, Andra Clarke. You do not need to repay me."

"I will do whatever I can to free you, Freya. That, I promise you."

The woman reached out, brushing her knuckles over Andra's face. "How I always wanted a sister. Now I may have two."

Despite her insistence that Freya ought to stay somewhere more comfortable (given she refused to admit where exactly she was spending the night), Andra left her at the St. Louis Cathedral and returned to her apartment.

She slept as peacefully as Landon, hugging him to her chest and smiling to herself, wondering how long it would take for Mikael to return. Now that he remembered her, what would happen? Maybe they could go back to their regular training sessions. Maybe they could sit and talk at a bar the way they used to and she could explain everything that'd happened with Malivore. With Freya in the picture, would he be more gentle? Would he be as tender as he'd been when he handed those knives back to her, crying because he remembered how much he cared for her at long last?

She didn't know but she was eager to find out. And she hoped that somewhere along the way he could find it in himself to respect his actual children. She doubted he would ever apologize but perhaps laying off of Klaus could be a start.

The next day, all anyone could focus on was the wedding. Andra scrambled to prepare everything they needed to spend the day at the Compound, ironing and setting items out while Ryan handled bathing Landon, and then himself so Andra could focus on her dress and accessories.

"Look at you, tiny tuxedo," she cooed, holding Landon up. "It fits perfectly! Say, thank you Ryan for dressing me up!"

"You're welcome, buddy," said Ryan, motioning for Andra to fix his tie.

She reached out to adjust it. "Cami agreed to watch Landon alongside Hope. Won't that be nice, Landon? You already have a little friend."

"I still can't believe she's alive," said Ryan. "You know what it means, don't you? For the future?"

"Yes. In the far future. Something we can't bring up with the Mikaelsons anytime soon."

"I know. But I'm really excited."