Chapter 15

Clupea harengus

Captain Mel looks past Zandra to the crew member. "You didn't let her near the body, did you?" he says and crosses his arms.

"Nope," the crew member says over the breeze cutting across the deck.

Zandra crosses her arms right back at Captain Mel. "I understand your need to keep this area secure, but I've already wrapped this up."

"Oh?" Captain Mel says.

Jade suddenly joins Zandra, having kept out of view.

I thought Jade left. Where did she come from?

"I gotta hear this," Jade says with booze-fried breath.

Just as well. Everyone is going to know about this anyway.

"Can we go somewhere private?" Zandra says to Captain Mel, motioning to enter the door.

Captain Mel remains in place. "No passengers allowed on the bridge."

Then can we not all huddle here in front of the door like fucking vampires waiting to be let in?

Zandra shuffles toward the railing, a good distance away from the body. Captain Mel and Jade follow.

"Well?" Captain Mel says.

Zandra pulls two cigarettes out of their pack. She passes one to Captain Mel. He lights up with her. Jade waves the smoke away from her face with her hand.

"Cherry Peach," Zandra says after the first drag. "She's in her cabin now. I've got a couple presenters making sure she stays put."

"The one with the weird-colored hair? Figures," Captain Mel says.

Jade burps into her hand.

"When do the police get here?" Zandra says.

"Soon. It's complicated," Captain Mel says, hoarse. "They've got police boats, but they're concerned what might happen if they roll up like sea pirates. Maybe send two plain clothes in a fishing boat instead. They want to do this quietly, keep it from getting out of control."

"We do, too," Jade says.

Zandra glimpses Aaron's lifeless body out of the corner of her eye.

How do they plan to get that thing out of here quietly? Or stink-free?

There's movement from the stairs. It's Ivy. She stuffs her nose into the pit of her elbow as she makes her way to Zandra.

"I take it you're discussing our person of interest," Ivy says and frees her nose.

"Cherry Peach," Zandra says.

"A lot of people showed up for her," Ivy says. "How sure are you?"

Zandra rubs her palms together. "Very. The spirits pointed me in the right direction, child. I filled in the rest."

"Let's hear it."

"I'd rather explain everything to the police. Put it all on record once and once only so there can be no confusion coming from you people," Zandra says.

Never show your hand unless you absolutely need to.

Captain Mel squints and grimaces. He says to Ivy, "You good with this?"

"I have to be. It's the only way to keep this event going," Ivy says. "I guess I tell everyone she's sick and refund her demo scheduled for today. Same with Aaron."

That's that. Nice and tidy. Crisis averted.

Zandra finishes her cigarette and flicks the butt into the river. Captain Mel pinches the cherry of his cigarette dark with his thumb and forefinger, then stuffs the butt into his pocket. He pulls out a key.