Chapter 22

Sarcophagus/Asparagus

Chad rolls the case with Zandra inside toward the lounge with the grace of a concussed sewer rat. Bexley rolls a second case behind him, this one still locked and much heavier.

Inside the case, Zandra uses the sound of rolling wheels to cover her twisting and turning to find a comfortable position. Such a contortion doesn't exist, but giving her chest an extra inch to breathe keeps the panic down. Despite knowing fresh air is only an unlocked latch away, the darkness and hot air feels suffocating.

It'll be worth it. All Chad needs to do is roll the case to the stairs that lead to the upper level. Bexley rolls the bigger case to block the view of me getting out. I need one more look at Aaron on the upper level. It won't take long. Then I make my move.

After a cigarette, of course.

Through the foam, Zandra hears the muffled murmurs of the attendees as the cases roll into the lounge.

Demos are over. Must be time for lunch and networking. Not ideal, but that's why I'm in this case.

One voice breaks out from the conversation and approaches. Both cases slow to a stop.

"What do you think you're doing with those?" Ivy says, presumably to Chad and Bexley.

Don't stop to talk. Keep going. You can walk and talk at the same time, can't you? Think on your feet.

Chad takes a moment to think and then says, "Hey, Bex, what are we doing with these things again?"

A punt worthy of professional football, Chad. Just brilliant.

"The captain guy told us to bring these out of storage," Bexley says to Ivy.

Not great, but better.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Captain Mel says, suddenly joining the conversation. "I never told you that."

Chad counters with, "Yeah, actually, you did."

Zandra feels the top of the case she's inside cave inward ever so slightly.

"Take this back to where you got them. Now," Captain Mel says. His voice sounds only inches away from Zandra.

Because it is.

He's leaning on the case.

Zandra sucks in a cough.

Getting stuffy in here.

"Did you say the captain? I think you meant the cash guy," Bexley says to Chad. Even from inside the case, Zandra can hear the lie in her voice. So does everyone else.

Chad snaps his fingers and says, "Oh, yeah. It was the cash preacher."

Rev. Cash must be nearby. He chimes in next. "For heaven's sake, I didn't tell you to go get no cases or nothing."

So much for being discreet. Why don't we invite the rest of the boat over while we're at it?

"Look, I'm not supposed to tell you this, but these cases have something really important inside," Chad says.

"You don't know what you're talking about. Put them back," Captain Mel says.

There's a knock on the side of Zandra's case. She can't help but flinch. The foam does a good job of covering her reaction, but Zandra can't be positive no one heard her jolt.

"What's in these anyway?" Ivy says.

Bexley and Chad don't respond.

"Captain?" Ivy says.