Chapter 15: Likes & Dislikes

"I wish time was kind to you.  There is so much I wanted to tell you.  So much I wish I said.  Now I tell it to the stars, hoping you're there".

Anita was picking at her potatoes on her dinner plate.  She remembered when she used to enjoy family dinners.  It was always filled with smiles and laughed and she enjoyed the loudness but now it was dull with the sound of forks clinking on the plates.

And when there were conversations, it was usually her parents talking about work, criticizing someone, or telling Anita how to be.

"So...Anita.  Made any friends?"  Her father asked boredly.

"I have had friends, but Isaac is my newest one". Anita told him.

"Oh, great. Another boy". Her father sighed heavily.

Guess this wouldn't be a good time to tell them that she had a boyfriend.

"Now, I don't want you tramping yourself around with all these boys you've been hanging around with". Her mother shook her fork at her.

"Mom".  Anita basically pleaded.

"Now, I'm serious. Clarice never had this many friends that were boys. She was a good girl".  Her mother nodded her head as she spoke.

And here it was.  The instant dizziness and the feeling of wanting to throw up.  Anita placed her fork down while she propped her elbow up on the table.  Her head resting on it as she rubbed the side of her head to try and comfort herself.

"We don't want anymore attention on this family".  Her mother concluded.

"Especially, with that whole ghost thing.  The whole town knows about us".  Her father almost hissed out as his hand hit the table with the bang, making Anita flinch from the noise and the shake of the table.

"Oh, there's the Locketts.  They lost their daughter in that Hale Fire.".  Her father mimicked some local.  "Oh.  Poor family, now their other daughter is crazy and is in Eichen".  Her father continued.

Anita felt tears in her eyes.  She didn't want to stay any longer and immediately moved her chair back, causing it to screech as she hurried to her room

"Anita.  You haven't been excused!"  Her mother called out.

Once Anita reached her room, she slammed the door shut as she began to pace her room, her hands running through her hair, pulling at it once and awhile.

"I'm not crazy".  Anita spoke out loud softly.

"I'm not crazy.  I'm not crazy".  Anita repeated to herself.

"Anita, calm down". Simon spoke as he was sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Don't tell me to calm down".  Anita said through gritted teeth.  "Please leave, I want to be alone".  Anita whispered as she felt herself start to choke up.  A cry was just wanting to escape from her lips.

Simon didn't stay any longer.  He knew she was upset and needed some time to just cry without a ghost being around. 

And that's what she did.

She cried.

She cried for many things.  What her parents said.  Her so called 'gift'.  Her sister being dead.  And a shit tone of other stuff.

~~~

"I'm just tired". Anita reassured Charlie, giving him a force smile.

"Yeah. Me too". Charlie let out a deep breath, looking away from her as Anita's smile slowly faded.

He didn't get it...

"Did you want to do something Friday or Saturday?" Charlie asked.

"Sure. I kinda want a laid back weekend. Something small". Anita leaned into him and Charlie gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Anything you want, darling". Charlie held her close to him. "We can just snuggle".

Anita let out a giggle at his comment, but got some reason it didn't feel right.

"You know, I was thinking about getting a job this summer, but I don't know where and how exactly I would get one". Anita told him.

"But that would be less time with me". Charlie held her a bit tighter.

"You could always come visit". Anita his his arm softly.

"Not the same". Charlie played with her hair lightly.

"Do you have any summer plans?"  Anita asked as she picked at the grass below her.

"Spending time with you of course".  Charlie smiled widely and then moved his head to the side a bit.  "Just one.  My aunt planned it.  We're going to Nevada".

"That will be fun". Anita turned her head, to look up at him. "Are you going camping or anything?" She asked.

"No. My relatives don't camp. Not really a fan of outdoors. We're just staying with some family over there for a week". Charlie explained.

"That's too bad. I remember I used to go camping. My sister would take me sometimes when her and Laura would go". Anita smiled fondly at the memories. "We should go. That's something we can do". Anita grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers together.

Charlie made what seemed like to be an annoyed noise while running his free hand through his hair. "I don't know. Camping doesn't seem fun to me".

"Oh". Anita said in disappointment. "Yeah. No. That's fine". She then nodded her head.

"I have to go darling, I need to ask Coach about the final and I know the conversation is going to take awhile".  Charlie shifted a bit and Anita sat up away from him.

Charlie gave her a peck on the lips before standing up completely, grabbing his backpack.  "I'll see you tomorrow".  Charlie told her and Anita smiled to him.

"Bye".  She waved as she watched his retreating figure.

"No to camping,  boo".  Simon walked over and sat next to Anita on the ground.

"Everyone has their likes and dislikes".  Anita went back to playing with the grass.

"And your like is camping".  Simon pointed out.

"It's fine.  Also, what did I say about ease dropping on our conversations?"  Anita asked him, giving a look before the look turned into confusion.

"Where even were you?"  Anita asked.

"Just out of sight".  Simon shrugged his shoulders.  Anita looked at him and soon a smile creeped up on her lips.

"You were behind the tree".

Simon nodded, letting out a disappointing sigh.

"I was behind the tree".  Simon confirmed, causing Anita to start laughing.

"No need to rub it in.  I felt stupid doing it".  Simon mumbled while Anita continued to laugh.