Chapter 26: Black Friday

"It's all in my head, it's all in my mind
I see the darkness where you see the light
It's all in my head, who do I trust?
I thought that you loved me, what is happening to us?"

Anita rolled the door of the loft open and closed it behind her. As soon as she turned back around she saw Derek standing by the couch, looking at her.

The two didn't say anything. Anita only made cautious steps towards Derek. When she was almost in front of him she reached out to touch him. She knew if Derek really was dead, her hand would go through him.

When Anita was close enough, her hand touched him. She clenched a piece of his shirt in her fist before letting go. Anita's blank face turned to anger as she looked at him. Anita wasted no time in shoving her hands into his chest. Derek didn't even budge, but the second time she did, it was much more stronger. It caused him to stumble back.

"Anita-". Derek tried but Anita didn't want to listen.

"24 hours. It's been over 24 hours and you didn't call or send at least a text?" Anita's voice rose in the end and she shoved him one more time.

"Do you have any idea what it was like?  I couldn't stop crying.  I-I didn't know if you were a lost ghost-I didn't know if I would ever see you again!"  Anita could feel the tears start to rise again but she made sure to not let any of them fall.

"Jennifer helped me.  I probably would've died if she wasn't at the schools parking lot".  Derek spoke up.

Anita didn't say anything but her eyes said it all.

"My English teacher?"  Anita asked slowly, anger laced with every word.

"It's not-"

And now the pushing turned into fists.  Derek was surprised how strong she was and it wasn't the only thing that hurt him.

Anita then stopped as she stared up at him with the same angry look. "So that's why you didn't tell any of us, ME? That you were alive? You were too busy screwing my English teacher!" Anita almost screamed. She waited for a reaction from Derek but all she got was a blank face and it made her livid.

Anita pounded against his chest. She never felt so angry before and she never thought she would feel this way towards Derek. "Say something!" Anita screamed again and gave one last pound to his chest before taking a few steps away from him, breathing out heavily. She couldn't look at him anymore.

What Anita wanted to say next was; What is happening to us?

But instead she said; "just tell me why".

"I didn't sleep with Jennifer". Derek finally said. "I would never do that to you Anita. As soon as she took me back here I told her to leave". Derek told her honestly. It did hurt that she thought that but he honestly didn't blame her. "I should've called you but I-" Derek didn't know how to say it and then he realized the truth was keeping him back. What he was about to say next, no one ever heard him say before.

"It was wrong of me and I was a complete idiot".

Anita nodded her head at what he called himself. At this moment he was a complete idiot. Derek didn't know what else to say. He wasn't good at words and expressing what he felt.