Chapter 19: Keep it a Secret

"I was...Somebody"

August

After the camping trip, things were different between Anita and Derek.  But, not in a bad way.  They started to see each other more, almost everyday.  Whenever Derek came back to town when him Isaac, and Peter were looking for Boyd and Erica, he would climb through her window.

It started out like that and then make out sessions and when the second week of August came Derek asked Anita to be his girlfriend. And of course she said yes.

To them it didn't seem that they were moving too fast. They've known each other for almost their whole lives and there was something that Anita and Derek gave one another without trying.

Anita gave Derek happiness and Derek gave Anita a sense of comfort.

They both agreed to keep it a secret.  They didn't want others to know.  That was something the two had in common.  Didn't want people to know everything about them.

"You ready for your senior year?"  Sheriff Stilinski asked Anita.

"Not really, but I found out that I will be graduating at the end of fall due to some classes I took in Eichen, but I think the true reason is because they want me out of there". Anita tilted her head side to side as she handed him some papers.

"These were misplaced". She told him and he took them from her, looking at them.

"Either way, I'm happy.  I'm too old to be in high school".  Anita breathed out heavily.

"Not interested in having a high school experience?" Stilinski asked.

"I mean at one point I did. But, now I'm too old so it doesn't matter".

"Anita, you're nineteen.  That's not old". Stilinski shook his head at her. Anita only smiled innocently at him.

"I already know this office is going to get messy again without you. I appreciate your help this summer". Stilinski thanked her honestly.

"Thank you, kept me busy this summer and it was fun". Anita handed him a file. "This actually needs to be shredded". She said in a low voice.

Stilinski raised an eyebrow, opening it and scanning over it. He let out a deep breath of relief, nodding. "Thank you".

~~~

Clarice's ghost wondered around Beacon Hills alone. She tried to get anyones attention but of course they didn't see or hear her. Once and awhile she cried out and that would send goosebumps down anyones spine that was near.

Clarice soon found herself in front of a house in the woods.  Clarice looked at it for awhile.  A sense of familiarity was there but she didn't know what.  She then walked towards it and then walked up the porch steps and then walked through the door.

"I've been here before".  Clarice whispered to herself as she walked up the steps to the second floor, her hand running on the railing before she came to a sudden stop at the top of the stairs with a gasp;

Clarice coughed as she pushed her way through other members of the Hale family in the basement.  Smoke filled the room and Clarice went over and opened a small window, hoping it could be a way out but it was too small.

"Dammit".  Clarice whispered as she heard a mixture of crying and yelling.

Clarice looked around until her eyes landed on Cora who was crying in her mothers arms.  Clarice looked back to the window and nodded.

"Talia!"  Clarice shouted, letting out another cough.

Clarice tapped the open window and looked down to Cora.  Talia knew and gave a nod.

Talia hugged her daughter tightly, giving her a kiss on the head. 

"Mommy!"  Cora cried out when Clarice picked her up.

"Come on.  Crawl through".  Clarice helped push Cora through the window.  Once Cora was out she turned to Clarice and grabbed her hand, hoping Clarice would come too.

"You go.  You run Cora".  Clarice told her, holding her hand tightly.

"No, no".  Cora shook her head.

"You can do it.  Run, Cora.  Go!"  Clarice let go of Cora's hand and soon enough Cora stood up and started to run.

Clarice leaned her forehead against the concrete wall, at least she got Cora out.  The sound of fire crackling soon filled the air.

"It's coming through!"  Someone shouted.

"Clarice!"  Peter grabbed her, pulling her into his arms.

"This is it".  Clarice whimpered as tears gathered in her eyes as she looked up at him, shaking her head.

"I don't wanna die".  She breathed out heavily as she began to shake in Peter's arms.  "Fire is the worst-"

Peter held her closer, setting his head on top of hers.  He knew how scared she was and it killed him.  He didn't care about himself at this moment.  He only cared for her.

"I know".  He whispered.

"Peter!"  Talia shouted as she came in view.  "There's an opening. Get Clarice and go.  I'll help the others".  Talia directed them.

Peter was first.  He easily jumped up, hissing at the heat.  When he got completely through he turned around and grabbed Clarice, helping her through.  She let out a screech when some of the flames kissed her skin.

Clarice shakily stood up as she looked at her blistered arm. 

"This way".  Peter grabbed her hand tightly as they made their way to the front door but it was blocked off by fire.

"New plan.  Up the stairs".  Peter turned to Clarice.

"But everything is rising.  There's fire everywhere.  Smoke-". Clarice started to panic.

"It's our only way".  Peter placed his hands on either side of her face.  "We will get out through the roof".  Peter told her and she nodded her head.

The two made their way up the stairs now.  Each step creaking as a beam nearby crashed. 

"Watch your head".  Peter looked up at the flames above them. 

When they reached the top they walked down the hall to get to a window.  They were being careful, but not as careful as they thought.

A creaking noise was sounded beneath Clarice where she walked and she felt something was wrong.  She stopped as she looked down, the noise still sounding.

"Peter".  Clarice felt her chest tightening as she looked up at him.

Peter turned around in his spot and looked at her.  Worry filled both their eyes.

And soon, the floor beneath Clarice gave out.  Peter screamed her name and ran to grab her but he was too late.  Clarice didn't only fall through to the first floor but the basement as well.

Peters eyes filled with tears as he looked through the broken wood as he could see Clarice's body on the ground.  Through the flames and smoke he could see and smell blood.

But worst of all he could hear her heartbeat soon stop.

Peter let out an anguish cry as he pulled himself away, shakily standing up.

Clarice's last word may of been 'Peter' but her last thought was 'Anita'.

Clarice pulled away from the banister, her lips wavering as tears gathered in her eyes.  Clarice has been dead for many years, but since she was a ghost that now knew she was dead, it felt like minutes ago.  Clarice shook her head and then she was gone from the house.