Chapter 6

"Manang, how far is your boss' house from here?" Ballsie asked as she sat and examined in awe the interior of the car. The inside smelled brand new, and you couldn't see a speck of dust or dirt on any of the black leather-trimmed seats or on the dashboard. She looked up and also admired the big panorama glass roof overhead.  It was spotless and you can practically see the whole sky from the inside of the car.  Ballsie has never seen, let alone ridden in a car this exquisite before. 

"The house is about half an hour away from the bus terminal. Traffic is really bad though, so I won't be surprised if it'll take an hour to get to the house." Manang Susan replied.

"Oh, I see. I guess traffic is unavoidable around here. It seems like everyone owns a car in this city. By the way Manang, thank you for picking me up. I am pretty sure I'd get lost without you."

"Don't mention it, plus I don't think you can easily commute from the bus terminal, not unless you take Uber or Grab. The house is in an exclusive neighborhood so there are no jeepneys, tricycles, or buses that are allowed to enter the area. I'd rather pick you up and besides, I promised your dad that I would fetch you from the bus terminal." 

"Thanks again, Manang. I really appreciate it. I am also relieved that you will be with me at least for a couple days before you leave. I am a little bit anxious because I am not sure if your boss will like me or not." Ballsie fiddled nervously with the handle of her shoulder bag as she expressed her lingering thoughts.

"Why are you nervous? Yes, Dylan is a little bit moody, maybe a tad bit picky, but he is actually quite nice," Manang Susan assured her with a side hug. "I'm sure you two will get along. Right, Victor? Oh, I forgot to introduce our trusted family driver. Ballsie, this is Victor. Victor, this is my niece, Ballsie." Manang Susan gestured towards the front with her hands as she made the introductions. 

Without batting an eye, Ballsie acknowledged the seemingly quiet driver and said, "Kuya Victor, don't fall in love with me, ah! I know we are both the household help, but I'm off limits, ok?" 

"Well, nice to meet you too! Wow Manang, your niece is something else! Excuse me, Ballsie! I am pretty sure I won't fall in love with you. Just so you know, we play for the same team if you know what I mean," he winked with a mischievous grin. 

"Manang, I told you to address me as Tori when it's just the two of us. Victor is so manly, so unlike me," he squealed and flipped his invisible hair. 

Ballsie and Manang looked at each other and laughed hysterically. 

"Luh, luh, luh, luh! Ballsie, don't ever call me Kuya Victor when it's just the two of us, ok? Call me "Ate Tori". And yes, I am the resident, fabulous, gay driver of Casa Lim!"  He raised his hand as if he was introducing himself in a beauty contest. "Don't let these muscles fool you, I am a woman through and through," he looked back and gushed. 

Before Ballsie can even reply, Manang Susan interjected while trying her best not to laugh, "Ok, TORI! Why don't you shut up and keep your eyes on the road! I already have a broken hip, I don't want to get into an accident and break anymore bones, ok?!"

In between her laughs, Ballsie realized that her nerves have dissipated a little bit and for the first time since she made her decision to accept the job, she felt relieved that at least she won't be alone in the house with her boss. 

With the much-needed ice breaker, she sighed and gathered her thoughts again and mustered up the courage to ask Manang Susan questions she had been meaning to ask. 

"On a serious note, Manang, what's Sir Dylan like? All I know is he's Chinoy, he's an architect, and his family is one of the wealthiest in the country." Ballsie looked at her elder with curious eyes. "Is there anything else I need to know?" 

"Well, you know one of your duties is to be with him when he sleeps. Ever since he was about 15 years old, he's had bad nightmares and he would have trouble sleeping. I would keep an eye on him when he sleeps because sometimes it gets so bad that he would have night terrors." Manang Susan said matter-of-factly. 

"Hmm ok, what else do you need to know? Well, I'm kind of biased since Dylan is like my son. I would say, he can come off as a bit snobbish at first, but once you get to know him, he's the most genuine, kind, and loving person. You know, someone you would be glad to take home to your parents as a boyfriend." Manang winked and Ballsie felt her face blush. "What else can I say besides that, he's just the best," Manang continued and shrugged her shoulders contentedly. 

Ballsie didn't say much after that. Still trying to keep her nerves at bay, she just then looked out the window for the rest of the car ride.