Chapter 17

"Manang, I think I'm going to pack my things and go.  I'll definitely get fired from this job. Maybe not now, but down the road, Sir Dylan will eventually get rid of me." Ballsie confessed as she and Manang Susan prepared breakfast in the kitchen. Manang Susan had her prepare sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit and even though Dylan said he was just going to buy breakfast on his way to work, Manang Susan ordered that she prepare one for Dylan too just in case. Ballsie wrapped Dylan's share in foil so he could bring it to go. Manang Susan also had her brew lots of coffee and ordered her to pour two cups in Dylan's insulated tumbler so he could also bring it with him to the site.  

Manang Susan looked at Ballsie with clear disappointment as she shook her head in regret. "Ballsie, I didn't take you for a quitter. Why are you waving the white flag now when you've just barely started? I told you he's just like that! Look at Tori here, how many times do you think Dylan has threatened to fire him? Right, Tori? How many times did Dylan try to fire you?" 

Ballsie didn't even realize that Tori was already seated at the small table in the auxiliary kitchen where they were preparing the food. She looked at Tori and saw that he just devoured his breakfast and had his mouth full. With his chipmunk cheeks, he put his two hands up and tried his very best to say "ten". 

"Honestly, I've been fired many times, I can't even keep count. You know I just didn't want to leave. I told Sir Dylan that my fabulous ass belongs here and that you have to drag me out of this house to get rid of me. See, look at me, I am still here darling!" Tori said as he managed to swallow the remaining food in his mouth. 

"Sir Dylan is all bark, no bite. Believe me, he won't fire you even if you struck out like a whole baseball team." Tori further explained as he urged Ballsie to join him at the table. 

Ballsie, thankful for Tori's bit of encouragement, followed his queue and she grabbed two cups of coffee to bring to the table. Manang Susan followed her as well bringing a cup of her own. Ballsie offered one cup to Tori and pondered on what to do next as she sipped her cup. 

"Man, Ballsie! Live up to your name, grab life by the balls and don't be afraid. I know you've always been a fighter, so I don't know why you're like this all of a sudden." Manang Susan managed to join their conversation as she finally sat on the table with the two of them. She took a bite of her sausage and egg biscuit and slurped her coffee with much gusto. "This coffee is piping hot!" 

"Speaking of piping hot. LOOK. AT. THAT! Ballsie, look! Will you leave THAT?" Tori mouthed as Dylan entered the kitchen wearing a crisp white dress shirt tucked in a black fitted pants. He also had his black Ray-Ban sunglasses hooked on his shirt and Ballsie guessed that the sunglasses were to hide the bags under his eyes. 

Just as the first day she met him, Ballsie noticed that he strode with authority and confidence and was now also wearing the most fragrant perfume Ballsie had ever smelled. He smelled like pine and cedarwood, scents that reminded her of home. He caught site of Ballsie looking at him and his face just remained emotionless. 

"Tori, is the car ready?" Dylan asked sternly. "Let's go before traffic gets bad." 

"Yes, Sir! Um, let me just finish this sip and we can go." 

He quickly gave Manang Susan a nod and was about to head out when Ballsie called his attention. 

"Sir Dylan!" She got up and walked up to him carrying the breakfast biscuit in one hand and his coffee tumbler in the other. "Here, Sir. In case you don't want to lose valuable time stopping at a cafe for food, here is a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit and your coffee. Um, just make sure the lid is tightly closed on that, my grip is not that good so, you know it might spill. I don't want to ruin your white shirt and you know, struck out again with you." Ballsie handed both to him and hesitantly looked at him in the eyes. 

Dylan took the breakfast and coffee with him but did not say anything. He put down the breakfast sandwich on one of the wall consoles and then twisted the lid of his coffee tumbler to make sure it was fully closed. Before completely heading towards the front door, he made sure to grab back the food he placed on the console.

"Tori, how many cups are you drinking?! That sip is taking forever." Dylan said impatiently. "We needed to go like five minutes ago. Hurry up or I will fire you!" 

Ballsie had to stifle her laughter when she heard Dylan's threats. "Yup, all bark, no bite! Ok, Mr. David Dylan Garcia Lim, let's just see who will be the last man standing."