Chapter 9

Ye aap kya kar rahein, takleef hogi aapko" (What are you doing? It will hurt you) she said, running towards him as she saw him putting off his cigarette by inverting the bud in his palm. She knelt across him where he was sitting in his jeep with his legs dangling on the road. Throwing the cigarette away, she looked at a small circle it had made in his hand. "Why? Dard nahi hua aapko?" (Why you did this? Didn't you feel any pain?) She asked with tears blurring her vision.

Her eyes widen, looking into his eyes. Moments ago, the eyes that were filled with tender love and coquettish flirting were now mirroring the rage and despise. What happened? she thought. He was so happy when she brought him the Coldrink. It's hardly fifteen minutes. What could happen in so little time to ruin his happiness and replace the contentment with anguish.

"Hua na Jaana. Bahot dard hua" (Ofcourse I felt pain. A lot of pain) he caressed her hair. "But not from this cigarette." He said and grabbed her jaw tightly, making her gasp. "Did-did I do some-something wrong? Mujh-mujhse koi galti hui kya Ji?" she asked innocently as tears started to fill her eyes. He brought her face closer to him, she is so beautiful, he thought. Even when he was burning in the fire of his rage, all he could see was how innocently beautiful she was. He leaned in and kissed the lone tear traveled down her jawbone.

"Galti tumse nahi hui hai Jaana, usse hui thi" (It wasn't you who committed the mistake Jaana, it was him), he said shifting his eyes towards the bonnet of the jeep.

Following his eyes, Sitara looked in the same direction, and a scream escaped her as she got up in haste, looking at a human heart.

Her palms covered her mouth as she kept shifting backward. A bile rose in the pit of her stomach. Her breathing increased, and her gut was knotted tighter than a hangman's noose round the neck of a wrestler. Her nausea increased, and she ran towards the pavement and emptied the contents of her stomach.

Her breathing and her tears were uncontrollable as she sat on the side with her head in her palms. Feeling a touch at her shoulders, a yelp escaped her throat.

Standing her up with her shoulders, he turned her towards him. Lifting her veil, he wiped the side of her lips. She looked around, and like just now, she noticed the awful silence around. Where are all the people? She just noticed that the university is kind of empty. The guards, the students, she can not see anyone. In the parking lot also there were no cars.

He brought her towards her jeep. Her feet halted on their own account, denying to move ahead. Her mind was still not able to form any logical explanation of why a bloody human heart is kept on the bonnet of the jeep. How can this be real? How can anyone do this? What is he, a vampire? She kept looking at him with wide eyes.

"Who is he, Jaana?" she shivered as his voice blew in her ear, and she noticed that he came next to her. "Ye-ye-kyu-" (Why?) "I asked who the fuck is he?" he yelled and she flinched. He strolled behind her and wrapped his hand around her waist making her shudder. "Actually my bad, I meant who was he?" He said holding her from behind.

"Say Jaana" He said inhaling her fragrance. The only thing that can calm the tightness in his chest was her fragrance, that works as a mystical elixir for him.

"I-I don't-don't know" she said with her chest, heaving up and down, still anxiously hyperventilating.

"You should know, or there were too many for you to guess," he said maliciously.

"I don't understand. I really don't know, please, " she said, crying, trying to avoid looking at the human organ, but his hold was making it impossible for her to move. Never in her dreams could she have imagined that at any moment of her life, she would see a heart like this. The blood was dripping down the jeep, and she felt nauseated again.