-05-

The dinner...

Maria grew up with a clear understanding that using hurtful language, especially when it comes to a woman's fertility, is profoundly disrespectful. Therefore, when she overheard her maids discussing her and referring to her as barren, it left her feeling heartbroken.

"I can't believe those girls would dare to call me barren! I need to teach them a lesson," Maria muttered to herself, consumed by anger and frustration.

Lost in her thoughts, she found herself contemplating the circumstances that had led to this situation. With a tinge of resentment, she thought about her husband, John, and the betrayal she felt due to his infidelity.

Suddenly, John entered the room, searching for Maria. "Darling, I was looking for you in our room. It's quite a mess. What happened?" he inquired, a hint of concern in his voice.

Maria looked at him, a mix of emotions welling up inside her. A wry chuckle escaped her lips as she responded, "Well, when your husband cheats on you, things tend to unravel. The state of the room is a reflection of the chaos caused by your actions."

John attempted to address her by a nickname, but Maria swiftly interrupted him. "I've asked you not to call me that," she snapped, her voice tinged with frustration.

"I apologize, Maria. I love you," John expressed, a touch of remorse in his voice.

Maria scoffed, her wounded pride still evident. "Love? If you truly loved me, you wouldn't have betrayed our marriage with an affair."

Maria's eyes welled up with tears as she struggled to find the right words to express the profound pain she felt. "I can't even begin to describe how much you've hurt me," she managed to say, her voice trembling with emotion. "It hurts so much. My heart is in so much pain because of what you've done. I never thought anything could come between us after all these years, but I was wrong. You had an affair, for heaven's sake."

John, unsure of how to respond, remained silent, his face filled with regret.

Feeling the need to vent her frustrations further, Maria continued, her voice choked with bitterness. "And now, those same maids I've always treated kindly have the audacity to mock me for my infertility. They even have the nerve to say that you did the right thing by cheating on me!"

John's expression shifted to one of anger, his voice laced with indignation. "Who are these maids? How dare they speak that way?"

Maria, overwhelmed with anger and hurt, snapped back, "Oh, please! Spare me your empty words."

"Maria, I am truly sorry for the pain I have caused you. I never intended for any of this to happen, and I regret my actions more than words can express. Please believe me when I say that I never meant to betray your trust."

Liar, she thought.

.⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅.

Two months had passed by in the blink of an eye. Ever since that fateful day, John had managed to uncover the true identities of the maids involved and promptly terminated their employment. When he revealed this information to her, she couldn't care less.

Nonetheless, the weight of his affair continues to linger in her mind, even to this day.

Maria hasn't decided what to do next, so the marriage between her and her husband was still on. Confiding in her mother was out of the question. She couldn't bring herself to reveal that the same affectionate husband, John, whom I once cherished, has proven unfaithful.