Day 4

DD was in a deep sleep, letting her self lightly swing in her hammock. Letting her leg hang off the side, and her hand resting on her stomach. But DD felt her arm being lightly shook, groaning in annoyance. "D." She heard a familiar sweet voice filling her ears, but yet she was too tired to even open her eyes, so she turned her head to the side. "Aye, DD." They whispered again.

     DD sighed in defeat, turning her head back and cracking her eyes open. At first she saw a blurry figure. Till she rubbed her eyes to clear her image. Reopening them to see Sails leaning over her. DD groaned, slowly sitting up confused. "Ah...w-what?" She said with a raspy voice. She looked around, and the sky was still dark with a hint of purple signaling the sun is about to come up. "You awake?" Sails asked.

What a dumb question.

     "Well I am now, what is it?" She asked, sounding annoyed. "Come with me lassie, I wanna show ya something." He said quietly, trying not to wake the others. DD slowly slipped out of her hammock and stretched with a long groan. Feeling her bones popping. Sails walked down the steps, as DD followed behind half asleep. This is the earliest she's ever gotten up. She would stay up late, and sleep late. She followed Sails across the ship, and up the other steps that lead up to an ocean view. DD rubbing her eyes again. "Sails...why did you wake me up so early?"

     "Come here." He smiled warmly, holding a hand out to her. Still half asleep, she grabbed his hand and he gently pulled her to his side. Wrapping that same arm around her shoulders, leaning up against the railing. "What?" DD asked, looking at him confused. "I could tell how much ye loved the sunrise yesterday morning. So I thought you might like this morning's sunrise." Sails mentioned, motioning his hand to hers that rested on the wooden railing.

     "It only comes around once a year, so yer lucky." He smiled. DD looked back into his ocean blue eyes. If she were honest, she was kind of jealous about his eyes. Just having colored eyes...wow...he's lucky. Just thinking about having blue eyes made her smile at him. She blushed, looking away into the ocean. Then up in the sky in front of her.

     She tried her best to patiently wait for that special sunrise. But yet nothing. Her brows pulled together unimpressed, and turned to Sails. "When's it going to start?" She asked softly. "It'll start, it just takes time." He reassured her. DD felt that awkward silence kick in. Causing her to look away again, back at the sky. Sails felt awkward as well, following DD's eyes to the sky. Sails' tails calmly swayed, feeling the ocean breeze brush his fur and DD's skin.

DD loved smelling that fresh calm air.
Reminded her of the beach with her family.

Her...family.

Sails felt like it was too quiet.
Luckily, he had a question that could possibly be answered.

     "So uh, D." He grabs her attention. "Ye said you've escaped from a bad place...but where? All I see out here is the sea, and small islands." He admitted, scanning his eyes around the ocean. Just him asking her that left bad memories. She fell quite, looking the opposite direction of Sails. Could she trust him to keep a secret? "I...it's complicated." She said, closing her eyes in pain. But suddenly, Sails reached over and cupped his palm on her left cheek. Gently turning her head towards him. "Hey. Ye, can tell mi anything. I won't tell a tale aye promise." His other hand let go of hers, pulling it straight to his heart.

     Ever since she's been here. He's been so sweet and kind.
He did act slightly creepy at first. But once she got to know him just a little, he was really thoughtful and warmed her heart. She fell quite at first, blushing at his touch. DD sighed in defeat, slowly lifting her face away from his hand.
"O-okay...but you have to promise."

     "Cross mi heart." He smiled, crossing his chest with his pointer finger. DD sighed out of anxiety. Preparing herself for what she's about to tell him. Sails was all ears.
She felt her heart racing, like she was going to throw up.
A very familiar feeling.

     "I was caged in a cave." She breathed. Sails looked worried, letting his ears fall. "After a ...incident...in a village. All the mobians blamed me for destroying their whole town." DD continued, now having glossy eyes. Her vision slightly blurred. "They didn't trust me much since—well...I'm human...so they started a riot..." DD gripped the railing.

     "I ran as fast as I could, but they caught me...they tied me up and took me to a place far out into the middle of the ocean...caging me in an empty and dark cave with no light...mobians would visit there, calling me a monster, telling me that I'm worthless and...that I..." DD felt a tear trickling down her cheek. "Don't...deserve to live..." Sails' eyes widened slightly just hearing her tell him what they told her. Breaking his heart, and his stomach In his throat.

     "It broke me...bad...so bad I started looking for sharp rocks and..." DD fell silent, as she slowly lifted her sleeve up making Sails gasp. "Started cutting myself." Her voice cracked. Presenting the jagged wounds to the fox.
There were so many little to big cuts,especially near her wrist. Making Sails also tear up. DD pulled her sleeve back up, covering her scars and quietly sobbed. She couldn't even finish explaining how she escaped. "Maybe they're right..." she choked. "Maybe I don't deserve to live." Then DD started to silently break down, crying into her hands.
"Oh god D." Sails with all of his sympathy, wrapped his arms around her, letting her cry on his shoulder.
Burying her face into his soft neck, soaking it with her tears.

     Sails also feeling tears fall down his cheeks. "Don't listen to them...yer no monster." He patted her back, DD swallowing her sorrow and pain. "B-but...I almost—" but suddenly, Sails pulled away. Looking straight into her eyes. "Hey." Started, hands on her shoulders. "Ye didn't do anything...they just needed someone to blame." He said, whipping a tear from her cheek with his thumb. "Ye deserve to live your life happy." He smiled warmly, trying to cheer her up. DD looked down at her feet, not even bothering to look him in the eye. But yet he had to lift her chin.
"Please D...don't hurt yerself again—let alone ending yer own life...it's not worth it lassie." He shook his head lightly, like he was begging her to stay alive. "Aye know this may sound weird, but ye' ve been the light of my life since ye got here." Sails admitted, making DD's water works come to a stop.

     "Please D...don't leave mi in the dark...the crew cares for ye a lot...I care for ye." He said softly, moving a strand of her hair around and over her ear. Making DD blush, as well as Sails. Sails hugged her again. DD hugging him back, feeling his fur between her fingers. Enjoying his warm embrace, she could easily smell his fur, and surprisingly he smelled like mint. Like those candy cane mints in Christmas. Her favorite mints. Felt like a drug to her.
She smiled warmly.

     Sails closed his eyes, letting the warm embrace sink in.
This lasted for a long moment, till the darkness in his eyes started to get lighter. He opened them, realizing the sky is slowly starting to get more of a purple color and seeing orange. He looked to the corner of his eye and smiled.
"DD look." He tapped her back, pulling away while keeping his arm around her shoulder. DD looked across the ocean blue, now staring in awe.

     This was the kind of sunrise she'd never seen before.
The sun slowly peeked out of the ocean with an angel like light, reflecting off the water. The clouds perfectly overlapped the light, making it look like god was sitting up at the top. The sky now looking more purple than blue.
"Wow." She smiled, whipping a tear away.
"Told ya...special...just like you." He smiled warmly at her.

     Sails was rather astonished to see her brown eyes look so bright in the orange sun rise. Her eyes looked like a pool of honey, glistening in the light. Honestly brown eyes looked way better in the sun than blue.  DD suddenly rested her hand upon his soft and fuzzy one. Sails' smile grew, resting his head on her shoulders. Both admiring the sun rise together as the others sleep.

This was nice.

This is perfect.

Calm.

But yet...

She wasn't able to tell him what she really did.