Chapter 9

It had been my eighth birthday party.

Sally and Robert adopted me a couple of years ago, and this was my second birthday with them. They were amazing parents, and they loved each other deeply.

The party was in full swing in our back yard. Children from our neighborhood and from school filled the place to the brim, surrounded by clowns and a few parents who stayed with their kids.

"Mommy! Mommy! Can I go to the bathroom, please?" I asked my mom, who was busy filling juice glasses on the buffet table at the side of the backyard.

She looked at me. Her belly was growing large. A baby brother was on the way. They were finally blessed with a child after waiting for so long, losing hope and then adopting me.

My dad used to say it was a good fortune that I brought with me.

"Go on! Be careful!" She called and I sprinted to the house. After finishing my business, I made my way downstairs. The open door of my dad's office caught my attention. He never allowed me to go there. We would play anywhere in the house, but his office was off limits.

Curiosity got the better of me. I snuck to the open door and slipped inside. There was no window. The only light came from the desk lamp, a muted orange glow that made everything seem like a dream.

The noise of the party faded to the background. My footsteps echoed in the quiet office as I made my way to the large, comfortable looking chair and climbed up. It spun with my weight, and I giggled. My knee bumped against an open drawer. I peeked in.

There was one of those toy guns that Jace and Malcom, our neighbor's boys, played with all the time. I had wanted one, but my mom said it was a boy's toy. My dad didn't agree. He brought me one with pink handcuffs and a sparkly badge.

But the one in the drawer looked bigger than mine. And it looked new and shiny. I opened the drawer fully and picked it up. It was heavy, too.

I climbed down the chair and raised my new gun. I was about to push the button when the door opened and my dad stepped in. He froze, his eyes growing wide. He held up his hands.

"Daddy! look what I found!" I said excitedly. He was about to say something but I was too excited, I wanted him to play with me, like we were always did. I would shoot him and he would play dead before scrambling to his feet and chasing me around the house.

"Daddy!" I grinned, pointing the gun at him. "Freeze! Don't move!"

"Orla-"

I giggled then pushed the button.

BANG!

I jumped, shutting my eyes. My hand stiffened around the gun, not letting go.

Screams outside. My ears were still ringing when I opened my eyes.

My dad lay unmoving on the floor. The red spot on his white shirt was spreading, growing bigger and bigger. His eyes were wide open, his mouth slack.

"Daddy?"

I approached slowly, then kneeled on the floor next to him. There was a commotion outside. Footsteps running closer.

"Daddy? Wake up. You should wake up now and chase me."

The look in my dad's eyes made me scared. I didn't know why, but I was terrified. Tears blurred my eyes.

I shook my dad. He didn't wake up. Then I put my free hand on his chest. Warm and wet. I lifted my hand. My palm was red. Blood red.

My mother burst into the office, more people behind her. Her eyes flitted from my dad, to me, then to my hand holding the gun.