Chapter 27

"I love you."

A strangled breath left my lips. My eyes glistened with the power of those words. Words that were so foreign to me.

When was the last time someone told me that they loved me?

"I love you so much," Ezra continued. "Don't feel the need to say it back. Not until you're sure-"

My lips silenced him. I kissed him and pulled back, smiling. "I love you too," I whispered. "I love you, Ezra."

He froze, then gave me one of his rare, big grins. He hugged me tightly, my face buried in the crook of his neck. I took greedy gulps of his scent and listened to the wild rhythm of his pulse for a few minutes. It felt like home.

His eyes were the happiest I'd ever seen, and I wished they would never know sadness again. "I love you," he said, "Even though you're difficult to wake up in the morning."

"Am not!" I protested half-heartedly. "You're just so warm and comfortable..."

"Mhm. You can cuddle this warm and comfortable wolf all you want. He's all yours."

"Course, he is." I couldn't keep the smile off my face. I felt all giddy and fuzzy inside.

He loved me.

He loved me!

I giggled. Ezra's grin reappeared. "What's funny?"

"Nothing. I'm just happy."

His face softened and he kissed my temple. "So am I, sweetheart. So am I."

His fingers rubbed my scalp. After a few minutes, an obnoxious yawn split my face. "Will you wake me up in the morning? I want to go see training, if that's okay?"

"Are you sure? It's pretty early."

"Sure," I murmured as my eyes drifted shut.

"Okay," he whispered. "Good night."

I might have answered him, but I wasn't sure. I slept without dreams that night, a peaceful oblivion, and woke up with a smile on my face.

I love you.

My smile widened.

"Well, that was quick," Ezra mumbled. "I only called your name once."

I groaned. "I told you I'm not difficult to wake up."

"Right."

I scowled. He chuckled, and the husky sound of his laughter so early in the morning made butterflies wreck havoc in my stomach.

Outside, the sun still hadn't risen, and the bluish light of dawn flooded my room and neutralized all colors into shades of gray.

"Do you still want to go?" he asked. I nodded and sat up. "Okay, just stay close to one of us. Ashley and Zach will be there. Sam, too."

"Sam? I thought it was only a werewolf thing."

"It is," he said, swinging his legs to the ground. "But sometimes we have vampires or witches spar with us. It's good training, especially with Sam."

We both stood up. I headed to my bathroom and paused when Ezra was by the door. "You know, you could just keep your stuff in my room. I mean, if you want to. You don't have to keep going back and forth between the two cabins."

His hand froze on the door knob. "Is it alright with you?"

I shrugged. "Sure. There's plenty of room in my closet and in the bathroom for your stuff."