Chapter 30

What in the world was the matter with me?

My head span. What was so special about my blood that Drake managed to grow his fang back? Something he shouldn't have been able to do for years, decades even.

I had no idea what to think and I hated it. But what I hated the most was the look of helplessness in Ezra's eyes.

At least I didn't hurt anyone, Vlad had said. But I couldn't help but worry. What if I did so in the future? What if I harmed someone? I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

Ezra and I were on our way to his home. We'd left the pack house shortly after our fruitless discussion ended. Vlad had no idea what to make of me and what I could do, and Sam was still working on Noah.

Noah. I had mixed feelings about him. On one hand, he had attacked us that night and I was still wary of him. But on the other hand, I felt sorry for him. He seemed like he was fighting something inside of him, something that pulled him to a dark place where sane thoughts were scarce.

I really wanted to help him. Maybe he had tried to attack us because he didn't know any better, because those were his orders when he didn't have the presence of mind to think for himself.

Or maybe I was being naive, trying to help someone who would jump at the opportunity to rip into my neck. I shivered, remembering the way his gaze snapped so often to my neck, his eyes full of a hungry gleam. Or the way he gulped down my scent and inched closer while we talked.

"I want you to meet someone," Ezra said, pulling me out of my head.

"Sure. Who?" I asked with a small smile as we made our way through a heavily wooded area. Through the darkness, I spied the light of a few scattered cabins. Thanks to the full moon and the star studded sky, I could see my way clearly enough to not end up with my face in the dirt.

"My mom."

My heart squeezed. I leaned into his side, tightening my arm around his waist. "Thank you. I would love to."

The cover of trees broke to reveal a small clearing. A two-story house stood in the middle of it. The only light poured from the windows, soft beams cutting through the night.

Ezra and I walked up the front porch steps, and my heart almost stopped. Two men stood at the door, melting into the shadows. I hadn't noticed them. A squeal might have made it past my lips. I put my hand on my racing heart.

"They're guards," Ezra mumbled, nodding at the two men, his eyes entertained.

"I didn't see them." I smiled at the two men. They bowed their heads, amusement clear on their faces.

Inside, the house was deathly quiet. The couch and the armchairs in the living room were a soft peach color. The wooden table and the brown plush carpet should've lent it a cozy vibe.

But the house felt... cold. Void. It almost mimicked the cold fireplace in the living room. There was potential for warmth, but no one had lit up a fire in it for a long, long time.

French doors looked over the back of the house. Another door opened to the kitchen. Ezra and I made our way upstairs, through the hallway, where two people stood at the end of it on either side of a door. A man and a woman, both fit and alert.

"Good evening, sir," they both said, bowing their heads. They cast curious glances at me.

I gave them a smile and replied since my mate thought that a simple nod was a perfectly polite response. "Good evening," I said.

We pushed inside the room. I blinked to get used to the darkness. A single beam of silver light stole through the window. Artificial lights blinked on the screen of a machine in the corner of the room, from which a beeping sound emanated. As we got closer, I could see it was a heart monitor, standing next to an IV drip. Both were connected to the person sleeping in the middle of the grand bed.