🜂 | behind the scenes

[part one of my secret identities AU; to fill you in, Cole used to go to a dancing academy, Kai to a basic public school, Lloyd goes to a private school, Zane, Jay, Nya and Pixal all go to the same school focused on engineering. Cole decided to switch schools – due to his job as a ninja he wasn't able to keep up with their high standards and ended up going to the same one as Kai does. they get seated together and get to know themselves, having no idea they already knew each other way before that. as they become friends, they both decide to try the school theatre since it's also the first time this happens at the school. that's probably all you need to know. ALSO their hoods hide all of their faces (something like prime empire suits yk?) and their mics have voice changers (so they sound like their movie counterparts) to keep their identities as hidden as possible. okay, let's get to it!]

Having been held back by his math teacher, Kai expected everyone to be impatiently waiting for him to show up. Oh, what a surprise it was to find the place empty. Except for Cole. The black-haired boy was holding his script, seemingly practicing his lines.

Kai dropped his backpack on the ground and approached him.

“Hey, where's everyone?”

Cole turned to him, the flicker of surprise on his face turned into a smile.

“Teach said she had emergency at home, so everyone decided to enjoy a free Friday afternoon. I thought I'd stay and practice a little when there's no one to watch me.”

“Oooh, so I'm breaking your plans, huh?” Kai asked, his smile mirroring Cole's.

“Well– Now that you're here…” He hesitated, Kai's raised brow urging him to speak. “I'm thinking… Maybe we could practice the, you know, the kiss scene? When there's no one to watch and all, maybe it'll be easier?”

Kai felt himself tense up just how Cole seemed to be. “Oh yeah… That might be a good idea…” he muttered, rubbing the back of his neck.

Cole nodded, chewing on his lip as in thought. Then he dropped the script aside and the two boys stared at each other helplessly.

“Yeah, okay,” Kai breathed out, more so for himself, and walked closer. “Let's just– let's just get this over with.”

The tension filled the air every single time this particular scene came up. And the worst thing was that neither of them knew about it being in the script when they did the auditions. What a shock it was for them when they received the full scripts. Every time they practiced it was the biggest problem. And having others watch didn't help. Teacher asked them what they're planning on doing once the hall gets filled with audience and all they could do was stare at her as helplessly, as they did at each other now.

“That's what actors do, it doesn't mean anything.”

Cole hesitated with his hands centimetres away from Kai's waist until Kai held them firmly and placed them there. He felt tingles run up all over his body when Cole adjusted his grip. They inched a little closer, neither able to look the other in the eyes.

“This is ridiculous,” Kai complained, feeling everything inside of him shake.

“Tell me about it.”

They stood there for a while, as if waiting for some signal, soemthing to tell them to start. Like runners waiting for the pistol to shoot. Cole's hands remained on his waist, spreading warmth there while Kai's arms just hung loosely by his side.

“You're gonna start?” Cole finally asked.

“What?” Kai looked into his eyes and their gazes met for the first time since they started.