5

Amena developed a comfortable routine throughout the week. She had started to sleep in the bed because Cyfrin read her to sleep most nights. She had been sleeping better than she ever had before.

It was the weekend, which was weird because that meant Cyfrin was home.

"Good morning," he greeted as she ventured downstairs. He had a cup of coffee and a book laid in front of him.

"Today's Saturday. Do you know what that means?" he asked.

She shook her head, curious.

"Saturdays are special because they are pancake or waffle days."

Amena wanted to smile. She felt the pull at her lips, but she willed it away.

"Do you have a preference?"

She shook her head.

"Waffles it is," he said.

Amena took a minute to look at him, really look at him. He was handsome, with fluffy dark hair and dark eyes. He was relaxed today with sweatpants and a t-shirt, leaving his tattoos on full display. He was handsome, but more than that, he was kind and gentle.

It had only been a week though. He could still change.

She took a seat, watching him mix together the batter. She couldn't remember ever having waffles. In elementary school, sometimes they had prepackaged pancakes.

"Have you ever been to a movie before, Amena?" Cyfrin asked.

She shook her head no.

"Okay, then let's go today."

He pulled out his phone, sliding it over to her. "This is what's showing tonight. Pick one out that interests you."

It actually sounded kind of fun. She read through the movie descriptions. The one that was animated looked the most interesting, but she knew that must be silly.

"Which one?" he asked, plating a waffle. He poured the rest of the batter into the iron.

He came closer. He must've noticed her hesitation.

"I was hoping you would pick this one personally," he said, pointing to the same movie that she was thinking about.

She smiled. She couldn't help it, and she tried to hide it by ducking her head.

Cyfrin didn't comment on it. He moved his phone out of the way, replacing it with the hot waffle.

"Butter," he said, setting down the glass dish. "Syrup and whipped cream of course."

He went to the fridge, pulling out a plastic container of washed berries.

He took a seat next to her, and she watched him, making her waffle exactly like his.

She couldn't figure out the whipped cream canister though. He helped her out without her even having to ask, making a smiley face.

She ended up eating most of the waffle, it was that good.

"Let's catch the one o'clock showing. I'm going to go get dressed," Cyfrin said, taking her plate to the sink.

Amena helped him clean up, taking any dirty dishes over to him and putting some stuff away.

----

The movie theater was completely empty. Cyfrin had brought a blanket that he put over her lap. He had also bought popcorn and candy and a slushie.

The seats reclined, and they sat right in the middle of the huge screen.

The snacks were delicious. She had never experienced anything like it before.

"Thank you for taking me," Amena told Cyfrin when they were walking back to the car.

"You're welcome," he said. "That was a good movie."

He opened the car door for her, helping her in.

"You can watch movies anytime in the den," he said as he started the car.

It was a very nice car. It was fancy, and Amena felt like if she touched anything, she would break it.

She had enjoyed Cyfrin's company today. She was confused, waiting for him to snap. It was bound to happen.

She considered the possibility that his kindness so far was to balance out the bad that was to come.

She hated thinking that way though. Cyfrin had yet to given her any idea that he would hurt her, but it's just how things were.

This time though, things were different. She wasn't being forced to stay with Cyfrin, not in the way she was with her father.

She could always just leave before it got bad.