16

There was a change that happened after that evening. Cyfrin and Amena had both been vulnerable enough to lay out all of their thoughts and feelings, and it felt great.

Amena didn't like how emotional she had gotten, but it couldn't be helped. At least now, there was an open line for her to be comfortable enough expressing her fears and concerns to him.

It was so freeing to finally not feel afraid to say what was on her mind. She had been afraid to speak up her whole life. She wasn't afraid, not with Cyfrin.

She didn't want to leave Cyfrin's side after the little incident, but he didn't seem to mind.

Emma had paid Amena for her painting and so had Emma's friend. Cyfrin had helped her get a debit card and they were spending the evening walking through a few stores.

Amena had never been able to buy anything on her own before.

Cyfrin walked patiently next to her as she browsed the aisles of the arts and crafts store, trying to decide what was worth spending her money on. She wanted a new sketchbook, and she found a few cool pens to try. They were paint pens.

"Have you ever tried watercolor?" Cyfrin asked.

Amena shook her head. "What's that?"

"It's a kind of paint that you add water to. It's more opaque. You have to have special paper."

"Oh," Amena whispered, glancing at the items already in her hands. She felt conflicted. She didn't want to spend all of her money in one go.

Cyfrin leaned down to kiss her cheek.

"I'll get this, and you get those."

"No," she protested. "Besides, I have too many art supplies at home already."

Cyfrin smiled, truly smiled, and Amena felt the instant heat in her cheeks when she realized what she had said.

"Come here," Cyfrin whispered, reaching to wrap his arm around her. His hand coasted the length of her arm and she nestled into his side.

"Alright," he said. "I'll either buy these two things, or I'll buy everything."

She pouted, but gave in. She knew it didn't really matter anyway. If he had put the watercolor back, he would've appeared with it later on. He was almost always buying her something.

Cyfrin helped her use her debit card for the first time. It was very exciting. She felt like her own person.

He helped her into his car.

"I want to learn how to drive," Amena said as he got into his own seat. He leaned over to pull her seatbelt into place, pecking her on the lips in passing.

"Sure," he said. "I'll teach you."

"I want to save money and buy my own car," she added.

"What kind of car?" he asked.

Amena immediately felt giddy. Cyfrin made her feel like everything was possible.

She mumbled, "I don't know. I don't know anything about cars."

He picked up her hand, clasping their fingers.

She looked out the window as he pulled out of the parking lot. He didn't go the way she was expecting. Instead, he pulled into a smaller parking lot that was completely empty. She glanced at him confused.

"You said you wanted to drive."

"Right now?" she whispered. She squeezed her fists, feeling very nervous about it.

Cyfrin gently unclasped her fingers.

"You can do it," he reassured. "Hands go here." He placed his hands just above the steering wheel center.

"You want to drive only with your right foot. There's a small pedal on the left. That's the brake. The large pedal next to it is the accelerator."

Cyfrin got out, but Amena hesitated. He opened her door.

"Nothing's going to happen. You can't hurt this car."

"But-"

He pecked her lips. "Just give it a try. The coordination is the only thing that takes some getting use to."

She got behind the wheel, feeling each distinct thump in her chest. She was also excited, but mostly nervous. Cyfrin helped her adjust her seat and the mirrors so she could see.

She tried to familiarize herself with everything around her, and get comfortable with switching her foot between the two pedals. The motion was new and odd.

"Whenever you're ready, put the car into drive. Just keep your foot on the brake."

Cyfrin didn't seem at all fazed or concerned. He looked completely relaxed and content next to her, and that made her feel so much better.

She didn't let the car move too much, constantly squeezing the brake and just letting the car roll. She was a bit nervous to hit the gas.

"Relax," he soothed. "You're doing great."

She got used to driving in circles around the parking lot. After a little while, she put the car back into park.

"Now you know how to drive," Cyfrin said.

Amena reached for him, pulling him close until their lips met.

"Thank you," she said.

He smirked against her lips, teasingly asking, "Do you want to drive us home?"

Amena shook her head, unable to control her smile at his teasing.

They switched back, and Cyfrin took her hand.

"I was talking to James and Xav about going on a little trip. What do you think?"

"A trip?" Amena asked.

"James has been wanting to hike at this place for awhile now. He found a cabin to rent. It could be fun."

She nodded. It did make her nervous to leave home for a little while, but a getaway sounded nice, especially if Emma was going to be there.