17

Cyfrin helped Amena out of his car.

"It's nice," she whispered, looking at the picturesque cabin.

"It is," he agreed. He took their bags, leading the way into the small house.

There were three bedrooms, each one its own suite with a bathroom. They were small and quaint, with a woodsy theme throughout. Amena loved it.

She plopped onto the bed, sinking right into the softness. Cyfrin set the bags near the closet door.

"We're here," Emma yelled from downstairs.

Emma swept her up into a hug as soon as Amena stepped foot downstairs.

"I'm so excited," Emma cheered. "I needed this vacation. I've already made a list of things I want to do and to eat and-"

"Alright," Xavier eased, gently pulling her away from Amena.

James arrived next, dropping his heavy bags with a huff.

"Let her be excited," Cyfrin said. "We're all excited. We haven't been on a trip together in so long."

"We used to be able to go every summer when we were in school," James said. "Adulting is gross."

"This is Amena's first vacation," Cyfrin said, extending his arm and encouraging her to come close.

"We have to go all out," Emma smiled.

"I have groceries," Cyfrin said, looking at Xavier and James. "Help me unload them."

Amena and Emma followed behind, walking around the house along the deck.

"There's the hot tub," Emma said, pointing it out. "And a charcoal grill. We'll have to go out to get some charcoal later."

They walked back towards the front of the house.

"It's still early in the day. Why don't we eat lunch and go on a hike?" James asked.

"Em and I brought some groceries too, mostly sandwich stuff. It's in our cooler," Xavier said.

---

Cyfrin swung their joined hands. He was good at pointing out different plants and bugs to Amena.

"This one is a cinnamon fern. Do you see the way it curls when it first grows?" he asked.

She nodded eagerly. "Take a picture of it."

He had taken several pictures on his phone for her. She had realized that all of this was going to be so amazing to paint when she got back home.

"I hear the water," Emma yelled from up ahead.

The windy trail came to an end, revealing a small waterfall nestled between some rocks. It wasn't very big, but it was beautiful.

"Wow," Amena whispered. She had never seen anything like it before. She stepped out a little onto a rock to get a better view.

She had no idea that nature could be so stunning. She understood why people liked to hike now, and why there was so much art surrounding the outside. There was so much to see and experience.

She turned to find Cyfrin taking a picture of her.

"Cyfrin," she accused, feeling the blush rise on her cheeks.

"What?" he asked. "You're beautiful."

"Aww," Emma cooed. "Let me take a picture of the both of you."

Cyfrin handed her his phone, stepping out onto the same rock as Amena.

"I don't know-" Amena whispered. Everyone was looking at her.

"Come on, Amena," Emma encouraged. "Just a little smile."

Cyfrin wrapped his arm around her. He leaned down. She thought it was to give her a kiss, but instead he blew a little puff of air in her ear.

She cringed with an uncontrollable laugh.

"That's so adorable," Emma smiled. "Take one of me and Xav."

They switched places.

"Alright, James. It's your turn," Xavier said, helping Emma off the rock. 

James grinned. He striked a silly pose.

"Perfect," Cyfrin said, handing James his phone back. "Real model worthy."

"I know, dude," James agreed. "I think I missed my calling."