Perfect Partner

In the Defence Against the Dark Arts class, to the surprise of the students, Professor Moody announced that he would cast the Imperius Curse on each of them to demonstrate his power and test their resistance to its effects.

"But... if you said it's illegal, Professor," Hermione asked uncertainly, as Moody cleared the desks with a sweeping wand movement, creating a clearing in the middle of the room.
"You said... that using it on another human being was..." Hermione continued, trying to voice her concern.

"Dumbledore wants you to learn the effect it has on a person," Moody said, his magical eye rotating towards Hermione and fixating on her without blinking, with a mysterious expression.

"If you prefer to learn the hard way... when someone casts it on you to control you... that's fine by me. You're excused from the class. You can leave." He pointed a gnarled finger towards the door.

Hermione turned very red and muttered something to herself, indicating that her question didn't mean she wanted to leave the class.

The professor began calling students forward one by one and casting the curse on them, and Cassiopeia watched as her classmates performed the most extraordinary things under the influence of the Imperius.

Dino Thomas continued to jump and sing the national anthem, while Lavender Brown imitated a squirrel, and Neville performed astonishing acrobatics that he could never have done under normal circumstances. It seemed that none of them were able to resist the Imperius Curse, only returning to normal when Moody lifted it.

"Gaunt," the mad professor called, and Cassiopeia pushed herself to the center of the room, standing in front of him and staring defiantly.

Mad-Eye raised his wand and shouted, "Imperio!"

Something ran through Cassi's mind. "Jump," the voice whispered. 'No,' she taunted in her head.

For a moment, Cassiopeia blinked, waiting for something to happen. She looked at the professor and raised an eyebrow.

He opened his mouth in shock and swallowed hard. "It's not... it's not possible," he said foolishly.

Audible sighs echoed through the room.

He raised his wand again, shouting with more conviction, "Imperio!"

The voice whispered again, 'JUMP!' it yelled.
"Don't yell," Cassi retorted in her thoughts.
She looked at her own body and then at the professor, feeling very confused.

Around the room, everyone looked on with astonishment.

"Gaunt... was not affected by the curse," he said, impressed, and Cassiopeia ran back to Draco's side, ignoring the curious gazes.

"How did you do that?" He asked, astonished.

"I have no idea," Cassi whispered anxiously.

"Potter," growled Moody, "you're next." The boy stepped forward into the cleared space in the middle of the room that Moody had created. The professor raised his wand, pointed it at Harry, and said, "Imperio."

Everyone watched intently for a long moment, but Harry remained still.
Mad-Eye started to get annoyed, but then, after a few minutes.

Harry hopped onto a desk, knocking it over.

"Well done," Moody said, surprised. "Look at this, all of you... Potter resisted! He fought against the curse and almost overcame it! And Gaunt wasn't affected at all. Take a closer look at your classmates."

⁀➷,

Transfiguration on Thursday

The class was nearing its end, and the students had completed the assigned task. The guinea fowls they had attempted to transfigure into guinea pigs were now locked in a large cage on the teacher's desk (Neville's guinea pig still had feathers).