CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

M A T U R E  C H A P T E R

~

A R T H U R

~

We spring apart and I look over at where the noise came from. I notice my Mum in the doorway and can't help to stare at her. She looks healthy. She's tall, like me, brunette, like me, and glowing with pride. She carries herself well as she walks towards me. Fuck, I've missed her. She wraps her arms around me, and I let her. She smells the same. Like home. Like safety.

I tightly grip her back.

"My baby boy." She says against my shoulder.

I can hear the wobble in her voice.

"M-Mum." I stutter, feeling tears come to my eyes. All the anger I've had for her over the last four years has simply melted away. It's her, my Mum.

We part and I notice the tears in her eyes too.

She sniffles. "I've missed you so much. I've wanted to call but I knew you needed space and time." She wipes her face. "I'm so glad to see you." She adds, pulling me in for another hug.

The second hug is shorter and she pulls away.

"Where's Ava?" I ask, looking around the pub.

"I'm right here, asshole." I hear and turn around to see her stood next to my girl, smiling.

My mouth drops open.

She's a completely different girl than I remember. She's grown up. She's taller, with longer hair, and good make-up. She's a young adult.

"You've grown so much." Is all I can say as I hold my arms out.

She wraps her arms around me tightly, her face pressed against my chest. "I missed you, bro."

I lower my head and kiss her hair. "I missed you too. Every day. Every-fucking-day." I mumble into her hair. As we part, I show her my hand. "I even got a tattoo." I simply state.

She holds my hand with both of hers and looks at it with surprise. "Oh my God! That's awesome!" She chuckles.

I look up at Callie and see she's smiling at me whilst sat up in her stool. "Mum, Ava." I say, making sure I have both of their attention. "This is my girlfriend, Callie." I move to stand beside her and place an arm across her shoulders.

"It's lovely to meet you! I'm Jennifer, but please call me Jen." My Mum greets her first, pulling her into a hug so quick she almost rips her from her chair. "You're so pretty!" She says, placing her hands on each side of Callie's cheeks. "I can see exactly why my son likes you."

"Loves." I correct, placing an arm across her shoulders. "She pulled me out of it."

"Of what?"

"Fighting. Law breaking. Just generally being a dick."

Mum looks up at me with a smile. "You don't fight anymore?"

I shake my head. "Gave it up." I announce, looking down at Callie. I kiss her forehead. "This woman has given me a new outlook on life, and I intend to live it to the fullest."