The Final Chapter... For Now

Lani

The morning after my strange dream, Percy, Hazel, Frank and I ate breakfast early, then headed into the city before the senate was due to convene. As Percy was a praetor now, he could go pretty much wherever he wanted, whenever he wanted.

On the way, we passed the stables, where Tyson and Mrs. O'Leary were sleeping. Tyson snored on a bed of hay next to the unicorns, a blissful look on his face like he was dreaming of ponies. Mrs. O'Leary rolled on her back and covered her ears with her paws. On the stable roof, Ella roosted in a pile of old Roman scrolls, her head tucked under her wings.

When we got to the forum, we sat by the fountains and watched the sun come up. The citizens were already busy sweeping up cupcake simulations, confetti, and party hats from last night's celebration. The engineer corps was working on a new arch that would commemorate the victory over Polybotes.

Hazel said she'd even heard talk of a formal triumph for the four of us- a parade around the city followed by a week of games and celebrations- but I knew we'd never get the chance. We didn't have time.

Percy and I told them about our dream of Juno.

Hazel frowned. "The gods were busy last night. Show them, Frank."

Frank reached into his coat pocket. He pulled out a thin paperback book and a note on red stationary.

"These were on my pillow this morning" He passed them to me. "Like the Tooth Fairy visited."

The book was The Art of War by Sun Tzu. I had never heard of it, but I could guess who sent it. The letter read: Good job kid. A real man's best weapon is his mind. This was your mom's favorite book. Give it a read. P.S.— I hope your friends Lani and Percy have learned some respect for me.

"Wow" Percy said as I handed Frank the book. "Maybe Mars is different than Ares. I don't think Ares can read."

Frank flipped through the pages. "There's a lot in here about sacrifice, knowing the cost of war. Back in Vancouver, Mars told me I'd have to put my duty ahead of my life or the entire war would go sideways. I thought he meant freeing Thanatos, but now... I don't know. I'm still alive, so maybe the worst is yet to come."

He glanced nervously at Percy, and I got the feeling there was something Mars said about Percy that Frank wasn't telling us. If I'm being honest, I'm not sure I want to know.

Besides, Frank had already given enough. He had watched his family home burn down. He'd lost his mother and his grandmother.

"You risked your life," I said. "You were willing to burn up to save the quest. Mars can't expect more than that."

"Maybe," Frank said doubtfully.

Hazel squeezed Frank's hand.

They seemed more comfortable around each other this morning, not quite as nervous and awkward. I wondered if they'd started dating. I hoped so, but decided against asking.

"Hazel, how about you?" my brother asked. "Any word from Pluto?"

She looked down. Several diamonds popped out of the ground at her feet. "No" she admitted. "In a way, I think he sent a message through Thanatos. My name wasn't on that list of escaped souls. It should have been."

"You think your dad gave you a pass?" I asked.

Hazel shrugged. "Pluto can't visit me or even talk to me without acknowledging I'm alive. Then he'd have to enforce the laws of death and have Thanatos bring me back to the Underworld. I think my dad is turning a blind eye. I think- I think he wants me to find Nico.