I know it's short

Hazel

Even before I got in the boat, I felt queasy.

I kept thinking about Phineas with steam coming out of his eyes, his hands crumbling to dust. Lani had assured me I wasn't like Phineas. But I was, I am. I'd done something even worse than torment Harpies.

'You started this whole thing!' Phineas had said. 'If it weren't for you, Alcyoneus wouldn't be alive!'

As the boat sped down the Columbia River, I tried to forget. I helped Ella make a nest out of old books and magazines we'd liberated from the library's recycling bin.

We hadn't really planned on taking the harpy with us, but Ella acted like the matter was decided.

"Friends" she muttered. "Ten seasons. 1994 to 2004. Friends melt Phineas and give Ella jerky. Ella will go with her friends."

Now she was roosting comfortably in the stern, nibbling bits of jerky and reciting random lines from Charles Dickens and 50 Tricks to Teach Your Dog.

Lani knelt in the bow, steering us toward the ocean with her freaky mind-over-water powers. Percy was napping next to her at her twin's insistence. I suspect that was partially because he was still guilty about making her cry and didn't want her more worried. I sat next to Frank on the center bench, our shoulders touching, which made me feel as jittery as a harpy.

I remembered how Frank stood up for me in Portland, shouting "She's a good person!" like he was ready to take on anybody who denied it. I didn't miss the look an Lani's face either.

I remembered the way he had looked on the hillside in Mendocino, alone in a clearing of poisoned grass with his spear in hand, fires burning all around him and the ashes of three basilisks at his feet.

A week ago if someone had suggested that Frank was a child of Mars, I would have laughed. Frank was much too sweet and gentle for that. I had always felt protective of him because of his clumsiness and his knack for getting into trouble.

Since we'd left camp, I saw him differently. He had more courage than I realized. He was the one looking out for me. I had to admit that the change was kind of nice.

The river widened into the ocean. The Pax turned north. As we sailed, Frank kept trying to lift my spirits by telling me silly jokes- Why did the Minotaur cross the road? How many fauns does it take to change a lightbulb? He pointed out buildings along the coastline that reminded him of places in Vancouver.

The sky started to darken, the sea turning the same rusty color as Ella's wings. June 21 was almost over. The Feast of Fortuna would happen in the evening, exactly seventy-two hours from now.

Finally Frank brought out some food from his pack-sodas and muffins he'd scavenged from Phineas's table. He passed them around after Lani woke up Percy.

"It's okay Hazel" Frank said quietly. "My mom used to say you shouldn't try to carry a problem alone. But if you don't want to talk about it, that's okay."

I took a shaky breath. I was afraid to talk- not just because I was embarrassed. She didn't want to black out and slip into the past.

"You were right" I said. "When you guessed I came back from the Underworld. I'm... I'm an escapee. I shouldn't be alive"

I felt like a dam (snack bar) had broken. The story flooded out. I explained how m mother had summoned Pluto and fallen in love with the god. I explained my mother's wish for all the riches in the earth, and how that had turned into Hazel's curse. I described my life in New Orleans- everything except my boyfriend Sammy. Looking at Frank, I couldn't bring myself to talk about that.

I described the voice, and how Gaea had slowly taken over my mother's mind. I explained how we had moved to Alaska, how I had helped raise the giant Alcyoneus, and how I had died, sinking the island into Resurrection bay.

I knew the other three were listening, but I spoke mostly to Frank. When I had finished, I was afraid to look at him. I waited for him to move away from me, maybe tell me I was a monster after all.

Instead, he took my hand. "You sacrificed yourself to keep the giant from waking. I could never be that brave"

I felt my pulse throbbing in my neck. "It wasn't bravery. I let my mother die. I cooperated with Gaea too long. I almost let her win"

"Hazel" Lani said, giving me a stern yet gentle look. "I have two things to tell you. One, don't forget I let my brother put his life on the line not that long ago. And two, you stood up to a goddess all by yourself. You did the right..." she trailed off as if she'd had an unpleasant thought.

"What happened in the Underworld... I mean after you died?" Percy picked up, casting a worried look at his sister before turning back to me. "You should've gone to Elysium. But if Nico brought you back—"

"I didn't go to Elysium" My mouth felt dry as sand. "Please don't ask..."

But it was too late. I remembered my descent into the darkness, her arrival on the banks of the River Styx, and my consciousness began to slip.

"Hazel?" Frank asked.

"Slip Sliding Away" Ella muttered. "Number five U.S. single. Paul Simon. Frank, go with her. Simon says, Frank go with her"

I had no idea what Ella was talking about, but my vision darkened as I clung to Frank's hand.

I found myself back in the Underworld, and this time Frank was at my side.