Terminus is Frustrating

Lani

"Why did Octavian call you a dog, and your brother's shadow?" Hazel asked as we walked to the mess hall.

I sighed "I don't know how he would know, but Gaea came to me in a dream. She was trying to get me to join her by playing on the fact that I live in my brother's shadow. She told me that next to my brother I am nothing. But I'd rather be nothing and by his side than work for her and betray everyone." I don't know why I told them, but it felt good. "There are some things that it's not my place to tell, but... I feel like it's always been like that. I don't know how to explain it. The only thing I'm really worried about is what happens when we get our memories back. What if I really am nothing compared to my brother"

Hazel put a hand on my shoulder, and I shook my head of any thoughts of doubt, "I won't let that impair my performance on this quest." I dropped my voice to a whisper. "I'll be here when Zoe finds me"

"Who's Zoe?" Hazel asked.

"She's the only person I remember from my past, other than Percy obviously..." I bit my lip, debating telling them about my dream.

"Is there something else?" Frank asked.

"Nothing important. Just me worrying about what happens when I get my memories back" I lied.

Soon Percy joined us in the mess hall for lunch. Nobody seemed particularly happy as everyone talked in hushed tones.

Reyna made a brief speech wishing us luck. Octavian ripped open a Beanie Baby and pronounced grave omens and hard times ahead but predicted the camp would be saved by an unexpected hero. Then the campers went off to their afternoon classes- gladiator fighting, Latin lessons, paintball with ghosts, and a dozen other activities that sounded better than a suicide quest. But I was glad to miss eagle training, I don't like eagles. Percy and I followed Hazel and Frank to the barracks to pack.

I didn't have much. I'd cleaned up my backpack from my trip south and kept most of my Bargain Mart supplies. I had a fresh pair of jeans and an extra purple T-shirt from the camp quartermaster, plus some nectar, ambrosia, snacks, a little mortal money, and camping supplies.

I even packed my orange T-shirt, it was stupid, but I didn't feel like leaving it here like Percy did. I took my hairpin out of my hair, twisting the starfish the arm with the small sapphire was lined up with the rest of the pin, when it had been the arm with the small diamond. Each barely a millimeter in diameter. There was also a small emerald, but I haven't tried that one yet. Nor have I tried the chrysocolla, and no I don't know how I knew that. I put my long black hair in a bun, but there were hairs sticking out everywhere like my hair was trying to escape.

One of our roommates, Bobby, gave us a ride to the border of the valley on Hannibal the elephant. From the hilltops, I could see everything below. The Little Tiber snaked across golden pastures where the unicorns were grazing. The temples and forums of New Rome gleamed in the sunlight. On the Field of Mars, engineers were hard at work, pulling down the remains of last night's fort and setting up barricades for a game of deathball. A normal day for Camp Jupiter- but on the northern horizon, storm clouds were gathering. Shadows moved across the hills, and I imagined the face of Gaea getting closer.

I looked over to Percy and he looked troubled. I suddenly felt bad for taking my anger at myself out on him. I put a hand on his shoulder, and he put his hand on mine, still lost in thought.

We got off the elephant. Bobby wished us a safe journey. Hannibal wrapped the four of us with his trunk. Then the elephant taxi service headed back into the valley.

Percy sighed. He turned to Hazel, Frank and I. Probably thinking of something upbeat to say.

A familiar voice said. "ID's please"