THIRTY-TWO

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥 𝗪𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗥

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWObitter sting of betrayal

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
bitter sting of betrayal

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

JULIET WALKED OUT of the cortex without a second thought, following after the red-suited figure of her boyfriend. Harry had wanted to go after him originally, but after some convincing, Juliet made him see that it was probably better for her to go. She stayed a good distance behind him until they reached the hallway downstairs that led to the breach room before speaking up.

"Training, huh?" Juliet began.

"Yeah," Barry replied casually, walking into the breach room. "Just . . . have to get faster."

"Oh, you mean with the V-Nine?" Juliet crossed her arms across her chest as she stopped before the stairs, watching as he paused for a moment. "I know you took it."

"I haven't."

Juliet raised an eyebrow. "No?"

"No," Barry confirmed. He turned to face her, holding the small bottle in his hand. "I took it, but I haven't taken it. Yet."

She walked down the stairs. "And you shouldn't."

"Why not?" Barry argued, exasperation written all over his face. "If the game is already rigged, why can't I level the playing field? I mean, if everybody else is cheating, how can — I want to be fast enough to stop Zoom and any speedster that tries to hurt my friends. Hurt you. Shouldn't I use everything in my power to do that?"

"Because you are not a cheater. That isn't the Barry Allen I know." Juliet flicked her hand towards her, and the Velocity-Nine flew right into her hand. "I'm not risking you destroying yourself for this."

Barry reached out towards it. "J—"

She clenched it tighter in her first. "No. You heard Caitlin — it was killing Jay. You don't need to go on a fucking suicide mission when you've got me."

He ran his gloved hand over his face. "Juliet. Just . . . give it to me. Please."

Juliet stared at him for a moment, her eyes trailing across his face, before extending it out towards him. Barry took it, and not moving his gaze off of her, he let it slip from his grasp. The glass immediately shattered on the floor, spilling the red liquid around it.