Chapter 11: Memories of Nobody

Drip, drop. Drip, drop. The sound echoed off the walls, aggressively loud, calling the drowsy girl sitting in the center awake. As soon as she opened her eyes, emotions overwhelmed her, tightening her chest and throwing her into a space she didn't want to be in.

It was her crying that now filled the overly large bathroom that was empty except for her. "Why is this happening to me?" she asked as if someone was sitting right next to her, while her eyes searched the room and found what she was looking for, "Why are you doing this to me?"

Sobbing and sniffling, she glanced down at her pale hands, trying to see something in them that no one saw, including herself. "What am I even here for?" she whispered.

Another quick scan of the room revealed that she had forgotten to close the curtains. She didn't like how the reddened sky reminded her of the sermon about a new dawn that people here loved to praise.

Was there a new dawn? The sun outside her window was setting, and it was setting for her.

She laughed through her tears at the metaphor. Maybe this was her eighth grade syndrome speaking, but she found it hilarious. Her eyes locked on that particular spot again.

Where she could just make out her own pearly eyes in the tall mirror standing there, not quite facing her, she stared motionlessly. A sudden grogginess overcame her again. Right, she had already taken her medicine.

Smiling bitterly, she cast a last glance down at her hands. "What was I ever here for?" she repeated in a slur, tongue heavy, "I tried. I tried so hard, but I just couldn't. I could have started again, right?" But even that was taken away from her in the end.

She didn't want to make another mistake. It was just that she couldn't control her mind. Her body she was able to control, but that was the extent of it. More than that she couldn't do, and it clearly wasn't enough.

'I don't wish to keep trying.' And yet she wished she could have seen her parents one last time, that's how egotistical she was.

She wanted to tell them that she loved them. She wanted to tell them that she was sorry. That she would be a good daughter from now on.

But she couldn't, it was too late. Salty drops trickled down her chin, like the water that constantly dripped from her lavender hair.

Her remorse was taken with her into a darkness colder than the north. Pain, sadness, loneliness, and fear all slipped through her fingers, leaving her mind empty. For the first time in many years, she felt... calm? Not unburdened, but somewhat relieved of some of the weight she had been carrying.

A numb feeling lulled the young girl to sleep, the heavy sound of her own blood coursing through her veins echoing in her ears, like a soundtrack in the background.

Except for a loud rumbling that grew increasingly distant and small.

There was this nostalgic sense of agony, but it was cushioned by a muddy feeling of slowly sinking into the deep. As if #"%§&$ had stepped into a lake made of quicksand.

Shocked as she felt her consciousness fading away, she forced her eyes open. Everything felt too familiar, her heart began to pound and she rose to a sitting position.

Breathing heavily, she couldn't open her mouth. As if it had been sewn shut, she looked around and saw a room that looked familiar to her, too, but what was it?

There were dolls everywhere. On the walls, on the bed, on the desk. She threw her blanket aside, crawled to the edge of the mattress and hopped out of bed, her short legs not yet long enough to reach the floor.

There was a tune in her head. A beautiful melody. Was someone in the house playing the violin? In the middle of the night?

She stood by a room where the light shone through a crack. "You are so good at this, Row. You could be a master one day."