Chapter 26: Toward a New Horizon

"Don't you have some time before the Victory Banquet? You could stay longer, my dear." The Marquis looked at his granddaughter, whom he hadn't seen in years, with regret.

The victory at the border had been announced to the public, and invitations to the corresponding banquet had been sent out to all the nobles of the Empire. Everyone from the rank of Count and up was required to attend, with family members from the age of seven and up, regardless of whether they had made their debut or not. Even her second brother would have no choice but to attend.

She had grown up so well, despite the rumors that had reached even him from time to time a few years back. He was a bit of a recluse himself, as of late, so he hardly had access to information. But she was indeed a future Empress, the next mother of this Arlen Empire, so he always knew she would outgrow her immaturity.

As a child, he remembered how much raw potential he had seen in her. It made him proud, even though he knew he contributed little to it in the end.

She felt a small sting when she saw his sad eyes, but she couldn't waste time in the Nerena Territory, even if she liked it there.

With a smile, she let him caress her head gently before saying goodbye. Her brother gave her a sideways glance, albeit brief.

"Will it really be okay for me to stay here and return to the capital alone?" Ava asked. They decided that it would be better for her to return to the capital with Charlotte and Sir Logan so that Charlotte would have someone to take her to the Annex.

"It will be fine. Ask Nelson if there's anything you need at the Marquisate." She put her hand on her maid's shoulder and gave it a quick squeeze. "Make sure you have the girl and my Annex ready for when I return with Norina."

She had told Ava the story of her colleague's little sister in an abbreviated manner, trying to trust one more person on her watch. It wasn't much more than what she'd already gathered, since she'd also told her grandfather about Charlotte.

Coincidentally, Rowena also thought it would be better to have less personnel with her in Eisenwacht, since her plans required her to show some of her cards to others. Ava already knew a lot, but it didn't have to be more than necessary for now.

"Of course I will!" At those words, Ava's eyes lit up as she, too, said her goodbyes so as not to get in the way of her mistress by wasting her precious time.

'Sorry, Ava.' Rowena sighed as she boarded the carriage, her eyes meeting Sir Sean's as she nodded to signal their readiness to leave.

Rowena certainly didn't miss the feeling of her butt, aching from the constant rocking and bouncing over uneven forest paths. She looked out the window, alone with her one remaining maid. It was a peaceful atmosphere.

"There is one thing I am still curious about," the noble girl said as she tried to see past the endless amount of trees surrounding them.

Caught off guard, the blonde maid blinked in response, then tilted her head. "What would that be, my lady?" There was no one else she could talk to.

Of course, she knew there could have been another person, but Norina didn't understand the connection between a human and a Numbered well enough to guess that much. It was something that Rowena would have to explain to her in order for her to understand what would happen to her sister from now on.

'Speaking of which,' she thought, "It's nothing grand. But when your sister regained her age, while it had lost some color due to her failing health, her hair was a reddish hue."

"Ah... Yes, that is true, my lady." Her face clearly showed how clueless she was as to the reason for this question.

Although she was no specialist, genetics was something most people in Celia's world understood.