Chapter 9|A Brunette Bunny

.

.

7 years later...

.

.

It has been 7 years, and during this time, the story will finally take set.

6 months later, the war will happen. Zeke would be the only one who will protect Cosette, the heroine.

But after the war, she ignored him and became closer to the crown prince, who became the male lead.

Even after the war, Zeke still protected Cosette. He did a lot of things for her and yet, she didn't even bat a single eye on him.

Seriously why do authors have to make second male leads suffer?

***

"Ava are you ready?" a familiar voice asked while knocking on the door.

It was Zeke. today was my birthday banquet and many rich nobles are coming, even the emperor himself.

"I don't know. Maybe yes or maybe not~" I replied.

It was silent after that. My maid finished fixing my hair so I went and looked at myself in the mirror. It was stunning.

My black hair was neatly tied into a ponytail. They even added a purple tiara which complimented my pretty pair of purple eyes.

I was wearing a black dress with red roses on top of it, which I really loved.

Ava is a very pretty girl. She can be the heroine herself if she wanted to.

But unfortunately, she is just a mere side character. Her name didn't even appear once in the novel.

I went out of my room and there, Zeke was waiting for me.

During these past seven years, Zeke went from adorable to handsome.

A lot of noble ladies would flock all over him whenever he makes a public appearance.

He's the second male lead after all.

He escorted me downstairs and a lot of people were there already.

Noble ladies gossiping, couples flirting, and even the emperor was there, talking to my father.

The emperor is here, so Florence might also be here.

I glanced at the veranda, and there, I saw that familiar blonde hair.

I saw the twins looking in our direction until I noticed Zeke's hand looped around my waist.

Just as I was about to go to my father, a mysterious girl with brunette hair and green eyes entered.

Her clothes... A commoner? What is she doing here?

Wait, brunette hair and green eyes...

"Cosette?!" I shouted impulsively. But it wasn't that loud so only Zeke heard it.

"Do you know her?" Zeke asked.

"Kind of... But this is the first time I saw her in person."

Then suddenly, she walked towards the center and yelled which took everybody's attention.

"I am the duke's daughter!" Everybody looked at her and started gossiping about her.

What? Was this part of the novel? As far as I can remember Cosette is a daughter of a marquis.

So why does she say that she is Father's son? And why is she wearing commoner's clothes?

I glanced at my father and he didn't have a particular reaction towards it.

He's not saying anything. Does he know her after all?

"Mother died after giving birth to me, and the duke slept with my mom!"

Father would never do that though. The only woman she loved and slept with was my mom, Laura Louis.

But why would she lie? What changed the story?

My connection with Zeke?

Father gestured at the servant to escort her.

When she was about to leave, I saw her smirk. Was it just my imagination?

But knowing Cosette, she is the type to ruin other people's lives if it would benefit her.

Seriously, what kind of heroine was that?

I don't even know why I finished reading that novel...