◈We Can Be the Renegades◈

--- One Year Later ---

Jongho's heart started to beat rapidly as his commanding officers cornered him against the railing of the deck, their weapons drawn and pointed in his direction. The last of the day's light was disappearing below the horizon, a cold chill looming in the air.

"What is the meaning of this, Commander?" Jongho asked, desperate not to show any fear.

"I believe I should be asking you that question," Commander Sutcliffe said, pulling out an envelope from his waistcoat. "Who are you to try to report to the king directly?"

The composure on Jongho's face faltered slightly as he looked behind Commander Sutcliffe to find Chan, the only fellow officer he thought to be a friend, standing there looking smug. The bastard couldn't even pretend to look guilty for betraying Jongho's trust.

No use denying it, Jongho pulled back his shoulders, raising his head in defiance.

"King Eoman deserves to know the vile things his naval officers are doing."

Commander Sutcliffe laughed. "Vile? You speak as though we are evil."

"You don't consider stealing from the kingdom's poorer citizens, abusing women and young girls, and killing anyone trying to defend themselves or the people they love as being evil?"

"Fine, we're evil," Commander Sutcliffe scoffed as he took a step closer to Jongho, a wicked look in his eyes. "Do you honestly think King Eoman would care to hear this information? Do you believe his Majesty would actually do anything to punish us?"

"What type of righteous ruler would simply stand by?"

Every officer on deck was now laughing as Commander Sutcliffe pointed his sword at Jongho's neck, the tip grazing his skin.

"Being born with a silver spoon in your mouth has made you incredibly naive, boy. King Eoman would sooner execute you for attempting to damage his reputation than punish us for living our lives freely."

"I'll take my chances."

"There's no need for that."

Jongho kept his eyes open as Commander Sutcliffe raised his sword above his head, bracing for the killing blow. If this was how his life was to end, Jongho wouldn't die as a coward. But instead of the blade slicing across Jongho's neck, Commander Sutcliffe slammed it into the railing next to Jongho before taking a step back.

"Toss him overboard," Commander Sutcliffe ordered the other officers as he began walking across the deck. "Getting attacked by some creature lurking in the ocean is a far worse fate for him."

Jongho fought back as the group of officers converged on him, managing to slam his fist into the faces of a few, but ultimately there were too many against him. The frigid water felt like needles piercing his skin as Jongho plunged into the ocean, the officers aboard laughing at his impending demise.

"Bastards!" Jongho screamed at the retreating ship as he struggled to stay afloat.

Allowing himself to feel the fear that had been growing inside him, Jongho looked out at the water all around him, hoping for any form of life. Another ship, land, anything.

"Help!" he screamed over and over again, unsure of what direction he should even begin swimming.

Feeling his voice starting to give out, Jongho watched as the naval ship sailed away into the night in silence, his body growing numb in the cold water. Soon, that silence was filled with a sound Jongho had never heard before.