◈Raise the Anchor◈

While Torch Key had a charming appearance with a gritty undertone, Rolem Piers was a rambunctious port town, with sailors of all types docking for several days at a time to enjoy the liveliness of the locals. The Howling Sabor had found its home at the docks for decades. For Wooyoung, it was where his story began.

Throughout Wooyoung's childhood, his father would recount the stories of how he met Wooyoung's mother. Dae Won had been a young captain of The Howling Sabor, while Hyejin was a bright-eyed barkeep at The Dark Crow.

"She was absolutely breathtaking," Dae Won would tell Wooyoung, eyes softening at the memory. "So full of life and humor. Her laughter would brighten anyone's day. That's a quality the two of you share."

Dae Won would find any excuse to return to Rolem Piers, any reason to visit Hyejin. Time and space could not dampen the connection between the lovers, and their romance eventually led to a small ceremony and Wooyoung's birth. Despite being constantly separated by Dae Won's love of the sea, the couple was happy and content in their growing family. Wooyoung was never wanting for a parent's love.

This happiness began to crumble, however, when Wooyoung was barely three years old. Hyejin fell ill, her health deteriorating rapidly. By the time Dae Won learned of Hyejin's condition and made it to Rolem Piers, Hyejin was on her deathbed.

"I'm sorry I'm late, my love," Dae Won cried, cradling Hyejin's face in his hands.

"You're here now. That's all that matters."

Wooyoung waddled over to his parents, confused by their sadness. Hyejin reached out to run her fingers through Wooyoung's hair, taking comfort in the way he leaned his head against her hand.

"Take him with you," Hyejin pleaded to Dae Won. "I know it will be challenging, raising a child aboard a ship. But if I'm unable to guide Wooyoung through life, then you have to."

Dae Won leaned forward, kissing Hyejin's temple. "I promise to raise him in a way that makes you proud."

Hyejin smiled, pulling her husband and son into a gentle embrace for the last time. As the sun began to set, Hyejin took her last breath and Dae Won cried as he held onto Wooyoung, who wouldn't understand for a few years what this moment actually meant.

After laying Hyejin to rest, Dae Won packed up Wooyoung's essential belongings and returned to The Howling Sabor with his son in hand, determined to keep his promise. Not everyone in his crew was too keen about this new addition.

"Have you lost your mind, Captain?" Raoul Beckwith, Dae Won's first mate, asked as he followed Dae Won into the captain's quarters. "The open sea is no life for a child."

Dae Won sat Wooyoung down on the bed and handed him his favorite toy before turning to face Raoul.

"Who should I leave him with? I am his only family left alive."

"I understand that, Captain. Yet I'm certain a well-respected family would happily take him in."

"I promised Hyejin I would raise Wooyoung myself," Dae Won seethed, causing Raoul to take a step back. "I will not abandon my son."

"But Captain."

"Enough. Wooyoung's protection aboard this ship is of the highest importance from here onward. Failure means death. Do you understand?"

After a moment, Raoul nodded. "Aye, Captain."

"Leave me."

With one last look at Wooyoung, who was happily playing with his toy, Raoul returned to the main deck. Dae Won sat on the edge of the bed and placed a hand gently on Wooyoung's head.