◈Ride on the Waves◈

The sky was a clear blue, and the water was calm as Hongjoong sailed away from Torch Key, Yunho and Mingi standing with him around the helm.

"How long do you plan on making him hang onto that netting without any assistance?" Yunho asked.

Hongjoong smirked. "Has he faltered yet?"

Mingi glanced over the starboard railing of the ship, finding Jongho still holding onto the netting, a determined look on his face.

"Not at all, Captain. In fact, he seems to have climbed up a couple of feet since I lasted looked."

"A few more minutes wouldn't hurt him then."

"Captain," Yunho muttered, unable to hide his disapproval.

"Four years, and you still are unamused by my teasing?" Hongjoong chuckled.

"Shall we hang you over the side of the ship while it sails across the ocean?"

Hongjoong cocked his head slightly. "I'd like to see you try." While Yunho refused to take the bait, he still stood there with his arms crossed, moments away from pulling Jongho on deck himself. Hongjoong rolled his eyes. "Put Yunho's mind at ease for me, Mingi, and pull the man on board."

"Aye, Captain." Mingi walked down the steps to the main deck, grabbing a spare rope as he went.

Down below, Jongho struggled to maintain his grip on the cargo netting. He wasn't certain if Hongjoong had seen his approach or not, but if he had, what was taking the captain so long to pull him on board? Was he choosing to make Jongho suffer?

"You there," a voice called from above, and Jongho looked up to find Mingi peeking over the edge of the railing with a grin on his face. "Enjoying the ride?"

Despite himself, Jongho chuckled.

"Not exactly how I had planned to spend my morning," he called back.

Grin widening across Mingi's face, he held the bundle of rope out for Jongho to see.

"Mind your head."

Mingi let go of the rope, the loose end smacking against the ship next to Jongho. After securing the rope around his waist, Jongho let go of the cargo netting, putting his full trust in Mingi to help assist him in climbing on board. Once he reached the railing, Yunho stepped in to help pull Jongho onto the deck.

"I apologize for our captain's behavior," Yunho said as Jongho caught his breath. "He found your predicament amusing."

"He was aware of my presence from the beginning then?"

"What other reason would we have to keep cargo netting draped over the side of the ship as we sail?" Hongjoong asked, bringing Jongho's attention to him as he descended down the steps onto the main deck, having handed the helm over to Tol. "In my defense, your boarding of my ship would have been less troublesome if you had arrived on time."

"You were... waiting for me?"

"I felt like three days was a sufficient amount of time for you to join us," Hongjoong informed, leaning against the railing next to Jongho. "However, a person can only wait for so long."

"Yet you kept the cargo netting in place, in case I arrived late."

Hongjoong smiled. "A gut feeling that ended up being correct. By the time I was informed of your approach, the ship was already pulling away from the dock."

"I could have missed the cargo netting."

"That would have been quite an entertaining sight."

"Would you have left me drifting in the harbor?"