Chapter Twenty-Seven

I'm going to keep this author's note short but I'd like to thank you all so much for 40k reads oh my..

Also, this chapter is really short compared to many previous chapters but a lot of this is leading up to what will happen next (I won't reveal anything but it's something everyone has been waiting to happen for a loooong time!) Thank you all for reading x

TWENTY-SEVEN

He gritted his teeth in a silent fury as I stepped into the living room, trying to prepare myself for the kicks, punches and insults he would throw at me today. I knew I should have told Logan to leave but I didn't want him to get suspicious... I was trapped. There was no positive outcome in anyone coming to my house; either Logan found out about my father or my father found out about Logan, Ethan and/or Seb.

"Look at me." My father growled out.

"S-Sorry Sir," I stuttered out, "I-"

"Shut up!" He shouted, the sound bouncing off of the walls, "You lied about your fuck buddy."

"No father, you've got it all wrong!" I defended.

"Do not talk back to me!"

I mumbled an apology and stared at the floor beneath my feet; I can't seem to make any good decisions recently. The sound of my father's heavy footsteps and his deep breathing grew louder before I could see his work boots in my line of sight. I closed my eyes tightly and waited for the slap, the kick, the punch – anything. But nothing happened. When I opened my eyes I saw my father stood in front of me with his eyes closed as if he was having an internal debate. I hesitantly called out for him and he suddenly raised his arm and slapped it down onto my shoulder, squeezing it roughly and causing me to wince in pain.

"You graduate tomorrow so you're lucky for today – but I won't forget so you will get what you deserve for disobeying me and whoring around."

With that said my father stomped out of the living room and out of the back door, he was probably going for another walk in the forest but I didn't care as it would give me a few hours by myself... Maybe I could see Ethan! I hurriedly went up the stairs to grab a house key and some money for the bus before rushing out of the front door – I didn't want my father to come home early and see that I wasn't there so I had to be quick.

***

An hour later and I was home again. Nothing had changed but Ethan was being moved from the hospital so that must mean that he is improving, they wouldn't let him leave if he was close to death, right? I need to stop thinking.

My father was still not home which probably means that he wouldn't be home for another hour at least. Walking into the kitchen I searched the fridge for something to cook for his dinner and found an almost empty fridge. Groaning, I made a mental note to go grocery shopping again sometime soon. My father eats so much food and I couldn't afford to keep buying large amounts every few days. Maybe if he didn't spend all of his money on alcohol, drugs and who knows what else then we would have more money for bills and food. I doubt it'll be long before we're kicked out of this house – I didn't want to leave, this house was filled with memories of my mother.

I pulled out some mushrooms out of the fridge and looked in the freezer, hoping there would be something to make a meal out of. Yes! I reached in and grabbed a bag of chips and some steak – this would have to do for now. Once I had made the meal an hour had passed so I speedily served it onto a plate and placed it on a tray on the coffee table in the living room along with a can of beer before running up the stairs and locking my bedroom door behind me. I pulled out a piece of paper and a pen from my desk and sat down on my 'bed', time to write another letter to Ethan.

'Dear Ethan,

You didn't wake up again today. You promised.

I wish that I didn't have to leave your side at all today – I should be writing this as I sit on the chair next to your bed. Well, the bed that the hospital put you in; it doesn't look like the type of bed you'd have. You're so particular about everything that you do and have so I can only imagine you sleeping in a king sized bed with "soft, but not too soft" sheets that are just right. Hey – maybe I should start calling you Goldilocks! See, I knew that I would find a suitable nickname for you ;). But anyway, I had to go home and help my father with dinner and cleaning the house a bit – I've kind of neglected cleaning while my thoughts have been entirely on you.

Logan was sleeping again when I visited you today – does he ever stay awake for longer than half the day? Was he like this before Afghanistan? I'm sure the entire experience must have been tiring but from the Logan I have grown to love, I'm almost certain he slept the same amount of time... if not more! I can't blame him though – sleep is great.

When I visited you Seb was at school (I know I should have been there too... I just can't bring myself to and I wouldn't be able to concentrate on schoolwork anyway) and your parents went home as I suggested that they should get some rest. They have been looking after me for the past few weeks and I feel as if I should be taking care of them too because of the love and care that they've shown me. I'm so thankful that you came into my life. You brought a family to me and you brought the feeling of love back into my life – thank you.

I know that I should be at school instead of with you at the hospital all of the time but it's either me or Seb and he has missed a lot of school... Oh yeah, and I guess I miss you. Just a tiny bit though. Like a reaaaaaaaaaally tiny part of me misses you. Obviously I'm joking – I can't stand the fact that you're so close to me yet we still haven't technically even met yet. How messed up is that?

I have also just noticed that I repeated myself in this letter about how I should be at school but I'm not breaking my promise – I'm not crossing anything out. I like that we don't erase our mistakes as everyone is human and makes mistakes and they shouldn't be ridiculed because of them... unless you're committing a crime, I guess. It allows us to get to know each other better and I can't help but smile at the fact that we can be our true selves around each other and hold no secrets. Well, no hard-to-tell secrets that may change our view of each other.

You're being moved from the hospital bed to your own house now - apparently you have a small hospital there with your own doctors. I wouldn't be surprised, when I've heard about your house it sounds like a mansion. You must make a lot of money with that business... a business I still know nothing about as that's all it has been called when I'm around. Is that the secret? You're in a gang, aren't you? Or... you sell illegal drugs. Or you're some kind of royalty – is that why everyone seems to respect you and your family? Oh gosh, you're actually a prince... I knew it. Does that mean I can finally be a real princess? Yes! I'm sorry, I'm now using you to become a princess – I obviously wouldn't be with you because I like you a lot... that would be stupid. Very stupid. I'm rambling. How do I manage to act like an idiot over letters?!

I'm going to end this letter here, I need to get an early night tonight. Graduation is tomorrow. I wish that you could be awake for this... I wanted to look at you to calm me down as I made a speech in front of everyone. I'm scared. But I know I can do this... I just wish you were here too.

Lots of love,

Your Ra-Ra <3'