Rearranging My Cds On A Friday Night

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐃 to bring me a cup of coffee, weren't you?" Mom asks me with a forced smile

Up to five seconds ago I was sitting in front of Jess and we were talking about our plans for this weekend, our hands intertwining on the counter.

"Yes, I was. Sorry, I got distracted," I admit swiftly glancing at Jess, letting my mom know that he was my distraction.

"Well, when you left I was alone and now look!" she gestures for me to look at her table "I'm not alone anymore!"

"Taylor found you, huh?" Jess notes spotting him, Taylor's sitting on a chair looking at a piece of paper "Sorry, my fault," Jess apologizes.

"You're forgiven, but now I gotta get away from him and his need to tell me all about the Doose's reunion. So, I'm gonna steal my daughter."

"All yours," he opens his arms as if giving me away.

"Ok, thanks," Mom nods at him "Now, you're gonna pretend that you're really sick and mommy will have to take you home and stay with you!" she refers to me.

"You're forgetting a tiny detail..." I remind her.

"What is it?"

"I'm working, maman..."

"Then come to the table and pretend you forgot something at home that I have to bring you!"

"Fine, fine..." I agree.

"Say bye to Jess now," Mom looks at me waiting.

"Bye Jess," I say in a monotonous tone.

"See you later..." Jess waves at me and turns around to grab the coffee pot.

When we sit at the table Mom puts on a fake sad face and says "Taylor, listen, you'll have to tell me later... I have to get Olive something she forgot at home."

"Oh, no, what is it?" Taylor's eyebrows raise in an expression of sorrow.

"Uh, my French literature book, I have a test coming up..."

"Oh, well, before you go and before I forget let me give you..." he searches through his messenger bag and pulls out two brooches "These."

I take one in my hand and read it aloud "Stars Hollow hockey— 2003 semifinalist. Go Minutemen. The future is yours. Bring this button to Doose's for 50% off your next purchase of stovetop stuffing."

"Wow," Mom acts impressed.

"That's a lot of words for a tiny button..." I comment out of breath.

"I expect to see you two wearing them at the game!" he points at us.

"We'll try to be there," Mom nods at him.

"Try to make it? Do you realize that this is the first time we've been in the regional
semifinals in forty-three years?"