Chapter 3. Gifts

Vish stared at the woman in the mirror, and she came to the sudden realization that she grew old. If she squinted, she could see the crow's feet at the corner of her eyes. Those eyes, they lacked that glistening that was ever-present back then when she wed Lorne. Her skin was not smooth and shiny anymore, it felt loose, became wrinkled, and was weathered by the persistent passing of time.

She was aware that she was exaggerating, but the recognition that her sands were running out struck her with the force of a sledgehammer.

Her handmaiden Fayle was brushing her hair, the once-blonde hair that now was flecked with grey. She certainly did not need a handmaiden for a trifling matter such as doing her hair, especially so since Vishala Morbane had no royal blood in her veins to be treated like that – but she kept the young woman close to her for reasons she had not disclosed to anyone.

'I must presume the banquet has not been a success, Milady.'

Vish blinked.

'How so?'

'You haven't told me about a particular someone suffering... injuries.'

'Oh. Yes. Plans took an unexpected turn.'

'But a welcome one, I see?'

'Only time will tell.' Vish sighed. 'I'm afraid I simply let the chance slip out of my hands.'

'It wasn't you who had to hold the knife.'

'And that makes me a coward.'

'And that makes you wise.'

'I'm constantly questioning myself, my friend. I have no proof against her.'

'Her behaviour is proof enough,' Fayle argued. She began to braid Vish's hair. 'It's an open secret that she had been acting weird since her trip to Neraki Isle.'

'So what? How could we possibly grab at the words needed to frame our thoughts? I don't even know what I think. Do you?'

'I do.'

'Care to share?' Vish grunted with annoyance. Her handmaiden smiled bitterly.

'Those thoughts had better remain concealed. I have seen things during my time in Lendvale. The behemoths harness powers none have ever seen before. Make what you want of this information.'

'You know what? You are right. Your thoughts really should remain concealed.'

Fayle finished with the third braid.

'Sandro looked unhappy.'

'I like the man,' Vish shook her head, which led to Fayle dropping the next braid halfway, inducing a deploring grunt from the woman. 'But I swear, he seems to be stern and brooding all the time. It may be soon he gives up this land and returns to the Mainland along with his knights.'

'He has the kind of tiredness sleep won't fix,' the handmaiden nodded. 'Soon, the Emerald Order is to see hard days.'

'He's not that old.'

'Yet he has had enough from life. His is a thankless job.'

The handmaiden began to make a bun of all the braids.

'Have you seen Lorne today?'

'He was up before dawn. Went outside with the Twins. Probably to talk about grapes and wine.'

It was not the first time Vish thanked the Gods that his husband could easily entertain nearly anyone. She smiled at the thought of letting him spend an hour with Sandro.

'Done.'

Vish watched as Fayle straightened and tucked a rampant lock of hers back among the braids. The handmaiden's eyes were fixed on Vish's hair, her lips silently moving, as if she wanted to say something.