Chapter 7. Stormwalker

'You are of no use to us if you refuse to eat,' said Mindu Stormwalker, and he put a wooden bowl on the stump before Maeve.

'We thank you, Lord. Although we would mayhap be more efficient with the cutlery, were our hands untied,' observed Reynard. Mindu gave him a belly laugh.

'Witty! But I am no Lord. We'll untie three of you at a time. Don't try to pull any tricks or else I'll grow grumpy.'

Maeve shifted uncomfortable when she felt the naked blade scratching her wrists. After feeling the ropes falling, she immediately pulled her hands to her chest, gently rubbing her wrists.

'I relish sincere talks. You possess two gemstones and one of you is Gifted.'

For a moment, silence was pierced through only by the chirping of crickets and the gentle crackling of fire. Reynard slowly lifted his head, awkwardly avoiding looking at Maeve.

'Are you Gifted yourself?'

The robust man stared at him, his dark eyes looming as depthless wells, his features dark in the night. The dancing flames of the campfire painted his face sinister as Mindu remained silent.

'We do have gemstones,' Maeve cleared her throat. Eyes turned toward her. She immediately regretted speaking. 'But we hide no... Gifted among us.'

Sounds of a scrum, then a painful groan drifted towards them. Two of Mindu's people took Lundahl away from the group. Maeve shivered at the sight of those soldiers – the various leaves and branches they hung onto themselves made them look like spectacularly grown nighttwigs. Lundahl was tumbling as the two soldiers brought him into the darkness outside the firelight.

Reynard tensed and stared back at Mindu. The man glanced at him askance.

'Told you not to pull tricks. Now, young lady,' he turned to Maeve, 'I've just told you I like sincere talks. Yet you dare lie to my face. Why's that?'

'I am not lying.' Maeve had no idea what she was doing, but now she felt she could not back down. She swallowed and tried not to avert her gaze from Mindu's terrible glare. 'There is no Gifted here.'

'Is this a play of words?' the big man snorted, looking some of the hunters in the eye nearby. 'Gifted, Blessed, Reborn, it's all the same. But very well. I see you will not cooperate. Denying a fact won't make any difference. Now eat. We'll reach Tusk Ridge tomorrow.'

'If you insist one of us is Reborn, why do you let us be, untied?' Maeve asked quietly before Mindu rose. 'For all you know, we may pose a danger to your people.' The girl saw Reynard tensing, but Mindu's eyes glinted with curiosity.

'How many Reborn have you known in your life?' he asked.

'There are not many who may wield the gift of the Gods.'

'True. But how many have you known, how many have you heard of?'

'Not many.'

'But you have, indeed,' Mindu smiled. Maeve pressed her lips. 'I have not heard of a single gift nor curse which could be used to inflict harm. I should be more wary of those gemstones of yours. Why didn't I seize them, then, you ask? They are simply broken. They don't work. Here, on this part of the isle you cannot control the faelin unless it has touched you.'

'Why is that?'

Mindu stood up. 'Patience, young lady. Remember, we are not on good terms, not yet. After all, you are my prisoners. That could change, of course, if you are willing to share information. I'll let you conspire by this modest meal now. Try to sleep after you finish, I don't want you to fall behind tomorrow.'