Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

Ch. 5: The Garden

BROOKE

I glanced over my shoulder as I entered the courtyard, ensuring the lights in Mother and Titan's bedrooms were off before sprinting for the shadows. I slowed when I reached the garden, and goosebumps rose across my skin. It was too quiet, too still. I was too exposed.

Was he watching me now?

An owl hooted, and I jolted, throwing a hand over my heart. I heaved a breath and closed my eyes, fighting for calm. If he wanted to hurt me, he could have done so many times: on the road, in my room, today at the shop.

A twig snapped.

My eyes flew open and scanned the direction the sound had come from. He was there. I could feel it in my soul, but, as usual, he was hidden.

"You're brave," he murmured, his voice deeper than I remembered.

Then I found him. He was still wearing the cloak he'd had on in town, making him nearly invisible amidst the shadows. Something tightened in my belly, and my wolf fought for control. Yes. Closer.

I clenched my jaw and held my breath, desperate to stay put.

He watched me for a long moment, then stepped into the light, slowly shrugging off his cloak and hanging it on a nearby branch.

I swallowed. "What are you doing?"

He removed his shirt, and the moon kissed his skin, deepening the shadows, declaring him a god. How could a valley wolf be so...perfect?

He lowered his pants.

My eyes widened. "No." I forced the word from between clenched teeth, clinging on to whatever sense I had left. I pointed a stern finger in his direction. "I didn't come here to—"

"Shift."

I blinked, and it took a moment for me to register what he'd said. "What?"

"You can, can't you?"

"Of course I can."

"Then do it."

"I can't."

His lips curved, somehow making him even more attractive. "You just said you could."

I bit back a growl. "I can. I'm just...it isn't—"

"Allowed?" His grin stretched.

I didn't answer. I didn't need to. We both knew he was right. "Are you determined to ruin me?" I asked. "You are the most reckless, dangerous, stupid man I've ever met. It isn't bad enough you keep leaving notes where anyone can find them, now you want me to parade around in wolf form like some...some—"

"Valley wolf?"

I crossed my arms. "Exactly."

He stalked closer, looking every bit the wolf he was. There was something dark about him that had nothing to do with the night. Something sinful. He was the embodiment of guilty pleasure.

When he was just out of arm's reach, I took several large steps back.

He stopped and lifted a brow. "I'm not the one you need to be afraid of."

I scoffed. "Is that so?"

"I'm not the one who wants you dead."

"Plenty of people want me dead. It comes with the territory, and I don't need you to—"

"Shifting into your wolf will make you stronger." He started forward again, his steps slower, measured, silent. "It will heighten your senses, and you'll be better able to protect yourself."