Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Ch. 14: Blood of the First

HUCK

I'd seen beauty. In the spring, when flowers coated the hills, and in the fall, when the leaves would turn to fire. But I'd never seen anything as captivating as her. It was impossible to function with her splayed before me, biting her lip, watching me with eager eyes. Hands that had picked a million locks suddenly couldn't undo a belt. With a frustrated grunt, I yanked hard, breaking the buckle. She was mine, and I was going to make sure she knew it.

The door flew open behind me.

I wasn't aware I could have so many thoughts at once. Within the span of thirty seconds, I experienced every stage of grief.

Denial. That did not just fucking happen.

Anger. A lot of anger. Mostly anger.

Bargaining. Goddess, let them drop dead, and I will do whatever you ask.

Brooke shot upright and scrambled to fix her dress, covering what I'd only just gotten uncovered.

Depression. A groan ripped from my lungs, and I wanted to cry. No way was she going to be in the mood after this.

"Huck!" Brooke hissed, shoving my shoulder.

Acceptance. I sighed and spun around, taking in the silhouette stretched across the floor. I knew who it was before she stepped in; the only person I couldn't smell. So I wasn't surprised when the shadow shrunk into Aster's frail, hunched form.

She flipped on the light and looked at the pair of us, her eyes lingering extra long on Brooke, who was busy unwrapping my jacket from around her neck. "How innovative," she said. "Useless, but at least you tried."

Brooke hopped off the desk and smoothed down her skirt. So poised. So unshakable. I had the sudden urge to shove the old woman back into the hallway, bar the door, and finish what I'd started.

Her gaze shifted to the opened rucksack spilling valuables onto the floor. "I see you found a use for the late Luna's things."

"Hello, Aster. I wasn't expecting you," Brooke said, colder than ice in December.

"I should think not." Aster grinned and extended a small pouch tied by a leather cord. "I brought you more tea—" A pointed look. "—in case you or someone you know needs help falling asleep."

Brooke stepped forward and took the offering, and something about her expression put me on edge.

Aster didn't release it right away. "I have remedies for most issues, should you find yourself in need of aid."

Brooke nodded once, and Aster turned toward me. "The moon is like a compass, boy. Just because the arrow is pointed north, doesn't mean walk off the side of a cliff." She glanced down at my undone pants and back up again. "You need to start taking the long way or neither of you is going to make it very far."

As much as I hated to admit it, the old crow was right. I needed to stop letting my wolf have so much control. My jaw twitched, but I nodded.

With a wry smile, she turned and walked away. At least she was nice enough to leave the light on and the door open. Wouldn't want to miss out on that one last chance to be a literal pain in my balls.

Brooke opened the little pouch and reluctantly lifted it to her nose for a small sniff.

"What is it?" I asked.

"An elephant tranquilizer."

I lifted a brow, but she didn't elaborate. She wasn't thinking about the tea. I could tell by how she peeked at me through her lashes: shy, mischievous, inviting. Her cheeks pinkened. Goddess, she was beautiful. We needed to get out of this room. "We should go."